What would you put in this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
photoqgf.jpg

It is pretty small but is pretty cool..... I'm thinking of putting duckweed in it! Yes I know duckweed is the devil....

What kind of fish could i put in it? At this point I am not going to heat it.

Noah

most people dont use metal for tanks. also have no clue of size. if you really want a outdoor pond type thing why not pick up a rubbermaid tub?

It looks like a small 3 gallon pail. I don't know if fish would be a good idea because the fluctuations of temperatures since it is so small. But a couple of nice water lettuce among the duckweed would be nice. Some parrot feather to grow up out of the water also. The only other problem I can see is without fish the mosquitoes might be a huge problem.

Duckweed will rapidly make anything else you put in there obsolete since you won't be able to see it for more than about two weeks.

I have something like that in plastic for breeding feeder shrimp.

I don't know; they're new. I've heard they breed pretty fast (using Neocaridina or similar) but there's almost no end to the rate my fish will eat them.

Nothing alive other than plants is a good idea for reasons already pointed out (temp fluctuations, metal, small, etc.). You could keep one of these though.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 86
What if I lined it with one of those black leaf bags?

Then it becomes a bucket with an ineffective liner that may break down in the sun and kill the fish. A proper liner would cost around $10... You could get a 10G for that. ;)

Real quick: I want to use THIS. I don't want a glass 10g.
This will be an indoor "tank", and won't be seeing direct sunlight.

I'd say 3-4. Not looking to keep GBRs in here. Just plants and maybe some little fishies.

Real quick: I want to use THIS. I don't want a glass 10g.
This will be an indoor "tank", and won't be seeing direct sunlight.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but whats the point then? Any fish that u can actually put in there will be so small u will barely be able to observe them from above. Thats why tanks are glass--so your inhabitants are visible for you to see. And if you are using this to grow plants then why not put it in the direct sunlight? It will at least save on lighting expenses. Im just confused as to why u are adament about using a pail that I wouldnt even use for water changes for fear of harmful contaminants.

I can see the appeal actually. It's just more pond-like. I would suggest a pair of Heterandria formosa, commonly called Least Killifish. They're a virtually indestructible livebearer that never exceeds about an inch total length and would thrive at room temperature. You can catch them wild in most any drainage ditch, pond or creek where you are, though a fishing license is probably required (check local laws on this, and make sure you know what you have before you remove it from its habitat as there are many endangered species in Florida too).

I do recommend the liner because nothing benefits from dissolved heavy metals.

Back
Top Bottom