What would you say the average life span?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,

I have a community tank so the fish are species like: rasboras, tetras, gourami, mollies and platies. I also have a couple of coreys and some cherry barbs. All in all, these are smaller fish. What would you say the average life span is for most of these fish? I was guessing around a couple of years, but I know my rasboras are at least that, maybe older. I recently lost a balloon belly molly though and someone mentioned that they only have a life span of 1.5-2 yrs.

What do you think?

Thanks-D

Hello!

Fish have very differing lifespans. Live bearers typically live only a year or two but tetras can often live 5-8 years, depending on the species. Some corydoras can live 15+ years, while other fish can easily live 20-30+ years in the right conditions. My point being it just completely depends on the individual species (and if course how good their living conditions are). Sometimes I think some of my fish might outlive me!

You can google it. The information is out there. I googled my tank and the majority will live around 5 years, but my yoyo's will live to 20.

Interesting that live bearers seem to have a shorter life span. I knew plecos could live a long time, but wasn't sure about the others.
Thanks-D

Lifespan of Aquarium Fish

Hi Everyone,

I have a community tank so the fish are species like: rasboras, tetras, gourami, mollies and platies. I also have a couple of coreys and some cherry barbs. All in all, these are smaller fish. What would you say the average life span is for most of these fish? I was guessing around a couple of years, but I know my rasboras are at least that, maybe older. I recently lost a balloon belly molly though and someone mentioned that they only have a life span of 1.5-2 yrs.

What do you think?

Thanks-D

Hello Dream...

I've kept or currently keep some of the fish you've listed. In the best of conditions, I'd get a couple of years tops from them, a year is about average. The Corydoras are a different story. They can live for a dozen years or more if well taken care of. I have some Corys that are past 5 years and they still look lively as ever.

B

Hello Dream...

I've kept or currently keep some of the fish you've listed. In the best of conditions, I'd get a couple of years tops from them, a year is about average. The Corydoras are a different story. They can live for a dozen years or more if well taken care of. I have some Corys that are past 5 years and they still look lively as ever.

B

My Harlequin Rasboras are at least two years old, and a Cory that I've had with them. I'll be sad when my Rasboras go...I bought a teeny tiny little Cory and it's so fun to watch them grow. It's about 3 times the size when I got him/her.

Back
Top Bottom