What would you stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I have 110 litre tank which currently homes 3 ottos, 3 smudge spot cories, 4 male guppies and a number of assassin snails.

I'm looking to fill out the tank, it is planted, I'm on the look out for some more of the smudge spot cories to fill out the school but there aren't any local.

I don't think I'll go for any more guppies as I haven't had the best luck.

I don't want mollies, platys or barbs - any suggestions guys? ?

Hey guys I have 110 litre tank which currently homes 3 ottos, 3 smudge spot cories, 4 male guppies and a number of assassin snails.

I'm looking to fill out the tank, it is planted, I'm on the look out for some more of the smudge spot cories to fill out the school but there aren't any local.

I don't think I'll go for any more guppies as I haven't had the best luck.

I don't want mollies, platys or barbs - any suggestions guys? dde2c

I know you said you don't want barbs.. But have you checked out black ruby barbs? I have some and love them! They add so much to my tank, they are active little guys! I'm recommending them because they are not nippy or aggressive as tiger barbs are; they are really peaceful! I got mine as juveniles and they look like tiger barbs when young, but as they color up they begin to turn a deep red, they are really very pretty I think!

They are pretty but I'm just not a fan of them sadly, I wish I could find some good guppies that last out cos they are so pretty. I was thinking of tetras but think they may be a bit small in the size tank I have

They are pretty but I'm just not a fan of them sadly, I wish I could find some good guppies that last out cos they are so pretty. I was thinking of tetras but think they may be a bit small in the size tank I have

If I'm correct you have about a 26 gallon tank right? I think you would be fine to put a school of tetras in there. Also I would increase your cories to atleast 4, preferably 5.

Thanks I am trying to up the corys but they aren't routinely sold around here just have to wait for more to come in. I quite like tetras what about a centrepiece fish though for in the future?

Thanks I am trying to up the corys but they aren't routinely sold around here just have to wait for more to come in. I quite like tetras what about a centrepiece fish though for in the future?

I have a 20 g with: 4 strata tetra, 6 guppies, 2 diamond tetras, 2 black skirted tetra, 2 green cory, 2 red fin oto, 2 nerita snail and a Orange rabbit snail. They are all over the tank and doing well, oh, and a bunch of shrimp! I wanted a center pc. also and went with a Blue German Ram. Very pretty! Especially the long finned males. Mine is gold, blue and a hint of silver, with a black spike in the dorsal fin. Doesn't get really large either, but it catches the eye!

Ooh I'm liking the ram idea! I did have a pair but they didn't last long ?
I'm going to fill up with some tetras I think just not sure on numbers will have to do some research, they aren't too expensive either so will be a nice fill in until I find the corys

Guppies in many stores have been inbred for hundreds of generations. I've seen videos of places that are 'fancy' guppy breeders who simply put all the adults in a big plastic colander like thing and let the fry go into the other part of the tank then place the fully grown fry back with the adults. Try going to a LFS that gets homebred stock.

Yeah I've had some home bred ones too. Think ill get a school of tetras just researching numbers and of I can mix and match! Will be going in the next hour if anyone can chip in!

Yeah I've had some home bred ones too. Think ill get a school of tetras just researching numbers and of I can mix and match! Will be going in the next hour if anyone can chip in!

I have a small school of Rummynose tetra, they are active in a planted tank and have lovely brightly coloured noses and tails in good water conditions! Great schoolers too.

How many to a school? I've read 6 minimum was thinking of maybe two different types so 12 new fish in total? As long as they don't break te bank!

How many to a school? I've read 6 minimum was thinking of maybe two different types so 12 new fish in total? As long as they don't break te bank!

Yes, 6 at the least...they will be more confident with more though. They look great with a school of cardinals...both do best with slow acclimatisation! Good luck and post pics if you can.

Well I've been and managed to get some more smudge spot cories, so my school of them will now be 6! Only thing is they are tiny compared to the ones I have so hope they get on ok. Also got 5 phantom tetras I think they were so just prepping te tank for the new arrivals, so pleased!

Well I've been and managed to get some more smudge spot cories, so my school of them will now be 6! Only thing is they are tiny compared to the ones I have so hope they get on ok. Also got 5 phantom tetras I think they were so just prepping te tank for the new arrivals, so pleased!

Excellent! Hope they are happy in their new home.

Well they do seem to be on although the tetras are being pushed around by the current but hopefully they'll get used to it. It's not very strong.

When in the LFS I saw a Dempsey, it was beautiful so may look into one of these inthe future

Here are some of the tetras the corys don't stay still much!

Attachments

• image-3399650371.jpg
    image-3399650371.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 70
Nice fish! How are your cory's doing? Did u manage to persuade them to pose for a pic yet? ;-) I don't think I've seen a smudge spot one before...mostly panda's, sterbai, bronze and peppered at my lfs.

Here are some of my smudge spots, not the best pics as they are still a bit shy. One of the new baby ones is the middle fish on the second pic

Attachments

• image-153052367.jpg
    image-153052367.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2577686116.jpg
    image-2577686116.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom