Whats going on with my horned nerite snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miylee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone please help me understand whats going on with my horned nerite snails? This is my first time owning any snails and I brought 3 into my tank yesterday. these two have always been very close by eachother since late night yesterday and continued to stay like this till today morning. They seem to be have been stuck together maybe? and have tiny pellet like dropplings by them on the side of my tank. Are they breeding?! :blink: What should I do??
attachment

if they're white and jelly-like and the size of sesame seeds then yes those are eggs. they won't hatch or anything cuz they need somewhat salty water to hatch and the eggs will dissolve in a couple of weeks

Yes, it sounds like one may be laying eggs, but they won't hatch in freshwater so just ignore them. Nerite snails will sometimes "piggy back" on one another (i.e., a smaller snail hitches a ride on a larger snail). The first time I saw nerites do that, I was worried something was wrong, but it turns out it's just one of the quirky things they do!

jeez I cant believe it possibly already layed eggs under 24hours of being in the tank. :lol: It's strange, they are on the back wall of the tank.. & from looking straight from the front of the tank they look like slightly tiny brown pellets, but when I look from the back of the tank where they are holding on, they look lighter, possibly white/ off white? and from the back window, they seem to jiggle as if there is a transparent jelly is holding them and going with the current so the "eggs" somewhat are jiggly.

UPDATE: over the last 10-15 min? it's more clear that one is "piggyback" riding the other snail, AND it looks like the little pellets are tagging along being dragged along by the snail who is getting piggy backed. im loving these snails they are so entertaining :D

found out from others pictures that it's just poop. :lol: guess they are just busy at work from day 1! haha

...wondering now if thats the reason why he's getting that piggy back ride.. lol

Funny! I haven't noticed my nerites pooping, but I'll have to watch for that. I've noticed my gold horned nerite moves really fast in the tank; my larger nerites move more slowly. I just love that they all eat algae and don't eat plants. They're the "perfect citizens" in a community tank!

Back
Top Bottom