whats happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qwertie

Aquarium Advice Freak
If youve read my posts before youll know that i like bettas (theyre my favourite lol)
I've been trying to fit them in with other fish- this morning I was on www.bettatalk.com and Faith (the person that runs it) was on about having bettas- then the most obvious thing punched me in the face- hard
Why dont I have a community tank and then 3 seperate betta bowls?
so thats whats going to happen- im getting 3 2 gal betta bowls (and a reserve if i ever want to breed them) that should cost me about £20 (ive got that yey) it dosent realy matter if theyre plastic does it?? the bettas will be as happy (plus its cheaper and lighter) and my mum agrees to buy the bettas (£2.50 each) so three bettas (2 males 1 female) and the good thing...... because theyre only 2 gal- I can get them now!!!!!!!
my rooms decorated and im having a floor put in so i cant get my 30 gal yet, so im getting the tanks tommrow!! yey!! ill fill them with spring water and leave them to get warm then saturdayb i get the bettas- isnt that excellent!! im thinking names now (i think im going to name one of the males after www.bettatalk.com 's interactive betta - finley, then ill have to wait till I see the rest,
so now- in the other tank- I'm free to choose guppies and tetras- yey!! so For the big tank ( allthough its about 6 weeks off) im thinking (in order of favouriteness)
1. cory cats
2. Angelfish (not sure on what type yet)
4. paridise fish
5. pelvicachromis pulcher (i dont know its common name see pic)
6. black molly
7. guppy
8.Nanostromus beckfordi ( again dunno its common name see pic!)
9 Micralestes interruptus (dunno its real name lol)
10. Red tailed black shark

those are my top ten, i know i wont beabble to fit them all in a 30 gal tank, but i might go bigger (bigger bigger bigger)
so what do you lot think of my incredible plans??
(People that can close posts dont close this down for me being too good ok LOL :wink: )

Attachments

• aa_piccie.jpg
    aa_piccie.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 89
I don't know a lot about mixing and large community tanks but for my 2 cents it sounds like at least a couple of them will probably not get along really well. The angelfish, the molly and the paradise fish as well as possibly the pencil fish and the congo tetra. I think I found the common names but I don't know for sure as it was just a google search. The shark could also be very aggressive if not territorial. To me, it sounds like a lot of fin nippers and not a lot of fish that will get along very well. They should fit in a 30 gallon if it is only one of each but tetras like to school, angels do too and the guppy would probably become lunch.

I hope many others reply because I am really new and don't have any personal experience with these fish to give but I hope I at least convinced you to research their different tank needs and compatability. I know I spend about 2 hours a day researching my C. trilineatus to make sure I am ready when I am ready to try and breed them.

pelvicachromis pulcher (kribensis)
Nanostromus beckfordi sp? Nannostomus beckfordi (pencil fish)
Micralestes interruptus (congo tetra)

edti* lol I was beaten to it.

pelvicachromis pulcher -Kribensis
Nannostomus beckfordi-Beckford's pencilfish
Micralestes interruptus-Congo tetra

ill look em up and see if theyre fin nippers- the Congo tetra has long fins itself so if they schoal and dont attack eachother then they might be ok with the guppy,
anyway, ill come back in a bit and tell you what I find.

Really, im only going to go to one shop so for the community tank ill just get whats in, that i like, but these fish are common so theyll probably be in stock- ill ask the owner about what theyre like, she is honest, she tried to put me off having fresh water turtles but I would have none of it, i thought mine would be different lol, then I came here and got the same answer I thought I better shut up about turtles lol.
as for the bettas- im definatley getting them no matter what, IMO theyre the prettyest fish ever and will look really cool in my room

I agree they are a nice fish, I have 2 in community tanks. As for breeding them, be ready to have to get a lot more tanks because their broods can be large and they will need to be seperated at young ages. Here is a site that I have done a lot of research from that might help.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/bettas.htm

Is a lot of information but it soulds like he knows what he is talking about.

fish like live food right....................... i might only keep a few.......

congratulations on your plans! i like to think of several lucky bettas being rescued from their little cups at once! is there any chance you could get five gallon tanks instead of two gallon? i don't think they'd be that much more expensive, but they'd make a big difference to the betta!

your community tank sounds potentially wonderful. congratulations.

0X !!!UPDATE!!! 0X

erm.... whoops, it turns out my mums had one of her trademark change of plans.... she dosent want to have 2 gal betta bowls anymore for some pathetic reason- something to do with the holidays (we go to my grandads house in France for the holidays for about 4 weeks making me completely bored :cry: ) so the change for the community tank is....
Fish:
1. (1 Siamese fighting fish (male)
2. (5 Cory cats
3. ( 2Angel fish (what evers in stock)
4. ( 2 kribensis
5. ( 6 Beckford's pencilfish
6. ( 6 congo tetra
7. ( 2 red tailed black sharks
8. (2. black mollies

Crustaceans:
1. (2 crabs (what sort do you find best??)
2. ( 2 crayfish

Plants:
1. ( 1Vesicularia dubyana
2. (1 Cryptocoryne balanasae
3. (1Riccia fluitans
would all this fit in a 33 gal tank? can you reccomend any changes?? I think theyd look nice together.

fearlessfisch - i might get a 5 gal tank for a betta and some other fish that dosent schoal as tankmates, so I might still rescue 2 bettas from their little cups !! ( I want a black one and a really colourfull one) ( ill put the colourfull one in the community because theres not that much colour)

IMO, That is way to many fish.
I would skip on the congos (18" of fish right there), and the redtail sharks. With the others I think you'll still be overstocked but you might be able to make it work.

Oh, I'd second think the crabs and crayfish as well. Your risking your fish if you add them to the tank.

I'd like to keep the crabs and crayfish to make the tank interesting- ill get rid of the congo tetras if Its only a 33 gal tank - but i might go bigger- ill do some calculations to find out if theyll fitnow anyway- ill post again here

I would not suggest putting that Paradise fish in there. I have experience with them and they are naughty little fin-nippers! I would suggest a dwarf gourami to replace your paradise.
I know how excited you are! I just put up another tank in my room and I'm still super excited about the outcome. Good Luck with your tank and your new bedroom floor!! (and of course, your bettas! :D )

lol, thanks, but the paradise fish are alredyy out because the bettas will nip them lol

ok, ill just skip this mad planning lol, because i dont even no if the fish I want will be in stock!!, ill see what happens when I get the fish, ill post her what ive got, i might be buying (with my own money) a 5 gal tank tommorow for a betta tommorow, my mum said she refused to get a tank without a filter or proper heating, so im going to get a betta and maybe some tankmates as a little 'practice' tank before the big thing lol

Back
Top Bottom