Whats harder to see than ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Whats harder to see than ghost shrimp?

Baby ghost shrimp.

They just hatched today. My wife and I are pretty excited. I tried to take some pics but none turned out very well. I learned that a good camera is no match for a poor photographer with a dirty tank and a very small subject. Here is the best pic:

Attachments

• picture_005a.jpg
    picture_005a.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 204
  • picture_005_751.jpg
    picture_005_751.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 412
nice! I though ghost shrimp needed cold water to survive.

When I'd buy them as feeders they'd die after a few days on there own.

ive kept a few ghost shrimp in my 10 gal since i started it, they survived the cycle, and the 86 degrees to kill the ick. tank is at 78 now, and they thrive

i have a couple in a 3gal tank and so far the females have given birth 5 times. i read somewhere that you should put a little seaweed in a shrimp tank so they molt properly and that mating usually occurs right after molting so i tried it out and it seemed to be true since the females had eggs 1-2 days after i put the seaweed in everytime!

Menagerie said:
Fun!! Have you separated the little ones from the main tank?
I was QTing some new shrimp and after a while, saw that one was carrying eggs. So we decided to convert the QT into a nursery. After the eggs hatched we put the mother into the main tank. I'm glad I did not have to catch the babies - They are 1/8in long and transparent.

timd818 said:
I read somewhere that said you can't breed those shrimps in tanks. How did you do it?
Getting the shrimp to have eggs seems like the easy part. Raising the fry is probably more difficult. I've read that the fry are attracted to light and will try to swim through the glass and injure themselves. A lot of people will use plastic containers, but we wanted to try wrapping a towel around the tank to make the hood the only source of light.

Lance M. said:
What's your water conditions? + salt content and filter?
PH=8, KH=150ppm, GH=180ppm, Ates=20, salt=0. I didn't intend the water to be that hard/alkaline, but have been kind of lazy on the water upkeep.

I have a whisper10 on there with the toe of my wife nylons over the intake (yes, I had her permission). The filter is off right now though. I need to find out what the little critters eat. If they are filter feeders, I don't want to filter all their food out of the water. If they are scavengers, the tank is plenty dirty. I still need to do more research.

timd818 said:
I read somewhere that said you can't breed those shrimps in tanks. How did you do it?

That's also what I understood. It's easy to get the shrimp pregnant, but near impossible raise the fry and that salt is required to hatch the eggs.

Felf said:
i read somewhere that you should put a little seaweed in a shrimp tank so they molt properly and that mating usually occurs right after molting so i tried it out and it seemed to be true since the females had eggs 1-2 days after i put the seaweed in everytime!

I've never heard of that, but it makes complete sense to add seaweed to help the molting process because of the high iodine content of seaweed and iodine is needed for any shrimp/crabs/crayfish/lobsters to molt properly.

Ghost shrimp (true freshwater Palaemonetes sp.), for U.S. aquarists, at least, are generally all wild-caught in the southern continental 'States (there are several species common through the Midwest as well). Ghost shrimp have a wide range of thermal tolerance under captive conditions (there is anectodal evidence that they become aggressive/frenetic in warmer water, but I have found this to be unsubstantiated), and can easily be bred in captivity (those who have heard otherwise are confusing them with certain other species which will bear eggs in freshwater but require brackish conditions for their planktonic larvae to develop), especially in densely planted tanks [in standard community tanks, non-sponge filters and cohabiting fish take their toll on the young, however].

No salt is required to breed true freshwater ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes sp. - readily available as feeders); the main difficulty implicit is keeping the minute planktonic larvae alive through the provision of extremely fine food particles within a sponge-filtered setup containing no fish.

I've never heard of that, but it makes complete sense to add seaweed to help the molting process because of the high iodine content of seaweed and iodine is needed for any shrimp/crabs/crayfish/lobsters to molt properly.

That premise is likely untrue; the addition of marine liquid iodine to freshwater crustacean aquariums is unnecessary, and any correlation is purely coincidental or unattributable to supplemental iodine intake alone. Unless you are utilizing distilled water or its equivalents neat (or otherwise have extremely mineral-poor water), trace element & calcium supplementation is unnecessary.

EDIT: The "idea" that iodine was required for crustaceans to molt apparently began amongst saltwater aquarists some few years ago, coming from the observation that crustaceans would molt shortly after addition of iodine began, or did so more regularly under such condition. The cast "skins" were noted to contain an elevated level of iodine, and were subsequently consumed (presumably to reabsorb lost elements). Combination of these two observations would naturally bring one to deduce that crustaceans require iodine to successfully molt or maintain vitality.

However, this premise does not hold true, as these observations would be consistent with iodine being biologically useless or possessing a degree of toxicity, the molting process secondarily allowing the removal of excess from their body (in addition to growth; consumption of shed chitin does not take place under all circumstances, and is more prevalent in conditions of reduced calcium intake). Current scientific literature makes no mention of iodine as being in any manner vital to the bodily functions/life processes of crustacean fauna.

The bulk of scientific thought notwithstanding, several sources promote the use of liquid iodine as a regular supplement for captive FW crustaceans, and many hobbyists attest to an increased frequency of molting under such treatment (presumably incidental or for the reasons proposed above). Regardless, it is unlikely that aqueous iodine is even bio-available to crustacean life.

I have never utilized element supplementation of any form with my FW shrimp and, to date, have experienced no inexplicable (e.g., by cohabitant predation) casualties or health complications.

Hmm. Nice info Veneer. Very detailed. What's your occupation? Some type of biologist? or a very devoted hobbyist with lots of experience?

Well it seems that the added iodine is not needed, but it wouldn't hurt and I can't return the bottle so I'll just keep using it til it's empty. Thanks for the info.

It sounds pretty conclusive (to me at least) that adding iodine increases the rate of molting. But is this a good thing? It seems possible that molting might be a way to get rid of excess iodine. I'm curious to read data about survival rates and life spans both with and without iodine.

I only have 1 ghost shrimp, and he has molted many many times with no problems. I add nothing to the water.

i mentioned that my shrimp arent really ghost shrimp but actually mountain shrimp in another thread where veneer gave me a detailed profile on them :) but anyway i read somewhere that adding seaweed will trigger mating in these mountain shrimp because they spend part of their lives in the ocean. none have died and they really do have eggs after adding the seaweed everytime so even if they dont need the iodine to molt properly it sure looks like it helps them get it on in my case :p

Back
Top Bottom