What's in betta cups that makes the water blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pyrotechnic100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started to wonder this today when me and my dad stopped by petsmart[we only go their to get non-alive stuff becuase they are cheaper and have more than the animal jungle closer to our house that we like better for fish because they always get sick if we get them from petsmart] to get a tank for my dads office. I all so wanted to try to convince him to get a kitten for my sister[twins]

So apparently It's from little conditioning tabs they put in there before shipping that contains meth blue. They are suppose to help prevent fungus during shipping and cut down on aggression by them not being able to see eachother.

blue stuff in the water is to keep the fish stress less, its like salt ... help the betta from getting finrot... the blue stuff is close to mela fix n the other one start with the P fix, kinda 4got what it call... petstore sell them as betta fix come in a small bottle .. u cant miss it...

jetajockey said:
bettafix is a diluted form of melafix, tea tree oil.

Methylene blue is totally different. It's used as an anti-fungal remedy and helps breathing.

+1 they actually sell it in bottles in some stores look it up on Foster's and smith.

I think their aim for the betta fix stuff is to sell it as a medicine. I never heard or seen a petstore sell it

I think their aim for the betta fix stuff is to sell it as a medicine. I never heard or seen a petstore sell it

Bettafix= diluted Melafix marketed for bettas and other anabantoids. Marketed as a medication, although IMO doesn't really do much.

Methylene blue= preventative and medication.
MethyleneBlue

I actually called Petsmart yesterday and asked what it is was they put in there, They said it is little tab that conditions the water and add trace amounts of Meth. Blue to help prevent fungus issues while they are in the cups. :deadhorse:

Well it obviously doesn't work very well lol. My betta bullet had fin rot already when I got him!

Pyrotechnic... Methylene blue is a medicine used in the treatment of cyanide poisoning as a cyanide binder and as a treatment in a rare disease affecting hemoglobin (the part of the blood that actually carries oxygen to your cells). And yes it is a very popular medical dye. In the laboratory we use it as a cell stain for biopsy and cell counts. It stains the cells so you can see it's components. Different parts of the cells absorb different dyes. Methylene blue is one of them. It doesn't wash out so be careful with getting it on you.

Back
Top Bottom