Whats it going to take...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One day ill have a 200+ Actually totally jealous of anyone who has. Ive actually drempt of a butti tilapia tank while sleeping, arghh:(
for me it has to be the motoro/tiger ray aquarium. Ahh that's what dreams are made of :D

So an update...I purchased the tank and got it home. With the help of three of my friends, I got the monster into the house and set. Due to the size and weight of the tank, it has earned the nick name "The Beast" and I am looking forward to all of the options. The tank is every bit of 400-500 pounds in itself. I ordered a Fluval FX6 and two 300 watt heaters. My biggest heartbreak in all of this is that I had to close down my 60 gallon. It was the condition that my wife had. Due to the timing and lack of space, all of my fish had to go back to my LFS. Fortunately I have a great relationship with the manager and he took care of me. 200 pounds of gravel to start with and I am just waiting on the UPS man so that I can begin my project.

Attachments

• CIMG0047.jpg
    CIMG0047.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 71
Just an update. The tank is now in and after receiving my FX6 day before yesterday...I am up and running. Now all that is left is to finish with decorations and plants and to add fish.

Attachments

• CIMG0053.jpg
    CIMG0053.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 82
  • CIMG0051.jpg
    CIMG0051.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 75
  • CIMG0049.jpg
    CIMG0049.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 82
  • CIMG0050.jpg
    CIMG0050.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 73
Still coming along

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131111_163746.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131111_163746.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 68
Looking good and the tank definitely deserves its nickname, I would keep cichlids, unmatched for intelligence and character IMO. Africans maybe south americans. why not choose fish that match the parameters of your tap water perfectly?

Have you considered getting a Red Tiger Lotus to give the tank a little pop of color?

Well the stocking is not going to be what I would dream of...at least not for the time being. I would love to do a cichlid tank and it will eventually become so. The biggest issues for the time being are that my previous tank, the 60 gallon that I had to get rid of, was set up because my 4 year old loves fish. It was set up for him and I let him pick the fish. Unfortunately for my cichlid ideas, he has already made up his mind for a few of the occupants and I can not sway him. He of course has picked out neons and guppies. So...until he is a little older and loses interest, I am going to humor him and make the best of the stock that I can and throw as many fish at the tank as I can...plus the 2 year old is fascinated with the colors. My plan at the time being is as follows:

20-30 Japanese red grass guppies
20 neons
20 Harlequin rasboras
20 rummynose tetras
20 cories
10 Roseline sharks
10 German blue rams
2 albino bristlenose place
Some shrimp and assassin snails

Not my original plans but you won't be able to look at any of the tank and not see fish. Plus it will keep the wife and kids happy. Eventually I will convert from peaceful community tank to a cichlid tank... but for now I am looking forward to what I am working with.

Good to know on the gbr's. I was told that because the tank was so big, 7.5 feet long 240 gallon, that the gbr's would be fine. Still figuring a few things out.

10 gbrs is a bad idea and you should only do 2 pairs or else you will have extreme aggression rest of stock sounds pretty good.

Do you keep them? They really aren't all that aggressive. 10 sounds like a lot, but this tank is enormous. I don't think OP would have any problem with them as long as there is plenty of cover.

Originally I started with 11 young GBR's in my 220g but as they matured and paired off even in that size tank I had some pretty bad aggression issues so now I only have 2 older pairs that don't have issues. My 220g is also 100% planted with a lot of DW so it wasn't like there wasn't adequate room and territory for them all. So honestly it may or may not work as they mature, at least that's how it's been for me.

Well then maybe you guys can help me. If I only put four gbr's in, what else can I add with a little size? Bolivians? Dwarf gourami's? I need a couple bigger fish

A pair of Pearl Gourami's would be great in a larger tank. I have 12 angelfish myself. You can also do Dwarf Gourami's but I find Pearls to be hardier and honestly usually much more peaceful.

In my 220g I had a trio of Dwarf Cichlids, Apistogramma agassizii, 1 male and 2 females along with the 4 rams. They were an old trio and the male finally died so I removed the females during a big tank rescape. The Apisto's claimed a territory with both females being not too far apart and he kept the ram out of that area but I never had biting contact. With Dwarf cichlids you just never know what their adult temperaments might be. That male was small and he even chased the big angels away from his harem.

LOL! I'm surprised you saw so much aggression out of your rams, yet you can keep 12 angelfish in your tank. Just goes to show that fish can be really unpredictable and, in many instances, there isn't "one right way" to do things.

If you are interested in another species with your rams, I'd recommend Apistogramma cacatuoides. They are more readily available than a lot of the other species, and they are a great starter Apisto (more tolerant of varying water parameters, easier to feed, etc.). Bolivian rams should work as well (not at the same time, choose one).

I had kept higher numbers in tanks before but that entire batch which all did come from one breeding facility got more aggressive as they matured. It seemed they all wanted the entire 220 gallons for themselves. None established permanent territories so it was a constant squabble. Drove me nuts so I finally split them up.

Apistogramma cacatuoides is my 2nd favorite due to their laid back tendencies. Panduro's are my number one but they can be a challenge as many of the females were super aggressive. I wouldn't think twice about putting A. Cacatuoides with Rams.

Well the stocking is not going to be what I would dream of...at least not for the time being. I would love to do a cichlid tank and it will eventually become so. The biggest issues for the time being are that my previous tank, the 60 gallon that I had to get rid of, was set up because my 4 year old loves fish. It was set up for him and I let him pick the fish. Unfortunately for my cichlid ideas, he has already made up his mind for a few of the occupants and I can not sway him. He of course has picked out neons and guppies. So...until he is a little older and loses interest, I am going to humor him and make the best of the stock that I can and throw as many fish at the tank as I can...plus the 2 year old is fascinated with the colors. My plan at the time being is as follows:

20-30 Japanese red grass guppies
20 neons
20 Harlequin rasboras
20 rummynose tetras
20 cories
10 Roseline sharks
10 German blue rams
2 albino bristlenose place
Some shrimp and assassin snails

Not my original plans but you won't be able to look at any of the tank and not see fish. Plus it will keep the wife and kids happy. Eventually I will convert from peaceful community tank to a cichlid tank... but for now I am looking forward to what I am working with.

Just throwing out a idea of fish to add, how about Dojo or Kuhli loaches. They are great cleaners (like the cories), and I think your kids would love them, as they are like mini snakes/eels. Just make sure to get several, as they sometimes will hide otherwise. Overall this aquarium looks great.

Just throwing out a idea of fish to add, how about Dojo or Kuhli loaches. They are great cleaners (like the cories), and I think your kids would love them, as they are like mini snakes/eels. Just make sure to get several, as they sometimes will hide otherwise. Overall this aquarium looks great.
Dojo are banned in several states, just sayin

Back
Top Bottom