Whats it going to take...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stewy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright, So I may be picking up a 240 gallon for a steal of a price. Now the problem is it is just a tank and stand. I have never had anything of this size and while I am comfortable in the 50-75 gallon range...I am a little intimidated at having to learn all over again. The filters that I know and I am used to will not work on such a beast. So...what would I need to make it work? I have heard mention of the Fluval FX5 but don't know anything about canister filters, upkeep, medium, etc. Can some of you large tank owners help me a little and give me an idea what it is going to take to get the tank operational? I am a fresh water guy and I have dreamed of having a tank of this size...

2 fluval fx6s, 2 300-400w heaters, some decent water changing gear and as for light that would depend on what youre using it for.

Exactly what youre used to but on a bigger scale.

2 fluval fx6's will make up for like half the cost of everything lol.

I know you often can not have too much filtration. But are two fx6's needed? The specs say up to 400 gallons.

Imo thats minimum, if 2 fx6s is 400g then realisticly you need to cut that in half. What you going to be keeping?

To be honest, I am not entirely sure what kind of fish I am going to keep if I get it. I have traditionally been a guppy and tetra guy. With that though, I have never owned anything larger than a 75 gallon. I have always wanted a tank of this size...just have not thought of what I would put in it.

To be honest, I am not entirely sure what kind of fish I am going to keep if I get it. I have traditionally been a guppy and tetra guy. With that though, I have never owned anything larger than a 75 gallon. I have always wanted a tank of this size...just have not thought of what I would put in it.

With that big a tank you should a group of angels (6) and Rainbowfish. You should also do clown loaches and a sail fin pleco :)

If the dimensions are right, you could do a lake Malawi biotope. That would be a phenomenal tank.
You would have only fish from lake Malawi, try to create as natural of a habitat, have a variety of fish, and do males and females to make it authentic.

Most tanks that large are drilled for use with a sump. Are you sure that this one is not drilled?

So I have not seen the tank yet. It does not appear to have been drilled for a sump. I have attached the picture that I was sent and it looks to be in great condition. I will not know for certain until I go and look at it on Friday. It appears that it is in great condition and that it actually has a stand for the price is amazing. Hopefully it is all that it seems to be cracked up to be. Especially since I have convinced my wife to let me buy it :). This was after all the first of the challenges that the tank had to offer, even if I had to promise to get rid of my 60. As far as I can tell, it is a acrylic tank and after speaking with him today, it is actually a 220/225 gallon, not a 240. Even still I am really keeping my fingers crossed. After speaking with him today, I also learned that it apparently has a "couple" filters and a bunch of rocks and decorations. Not sure if they are going to be anything worth it, but we will see. I am thinking that the tank may have originally been a salt water set up but the guy was not sure. Regardless...it will only mean a little more elbow grease because I am set on freshwater. Unless the tank was freshwater and the filters that are with are in awesome condition, I have pretty much decided on the Fluval FX6 and will probably start from scratch anyways. So, here's to my optimism and hoping that the tank is in the condition that it appears to be in. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 00202_livOb6hbYKv_600x450.jpg
    00202_livOb6hbYKv_600x450.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 123
Definitely does not look drilled. Definitely does not look to be acrylic either. You can see the silicone seals in the pic, especially around the bottom. Very cool tank, i would buy this if the price were right... Lol

You mention that it does not look like acrylic. I will not know until I see it but the front side edges are rounded. Didn't seem like something that you would get in glass. We shall see in a couple days...either way it is going to be heavy.

Glass tanks with rounded front corners are somewhat unusual, but they definitely exist.

So I was able to go and look at the tank last night and I am stoked to say I picked up a new 225 gallon with stand for $750. Super excited to start setting it up this coming week. Still have to decide what I am going to do with it, but I have a little time to decide

I was surprised it fit in the back of the truck. Took four guys to load it. Probably gonna need at least that to get it in the house.

I have a 220g tank and when we were temporarily housing fingerling koi for a few months I had 2 Fluval FX5's on it. Once I switched it over to a planted tank I removed the FX5's as they were just to big for me to handle and now run 3 Fluval 406 canisters. Then I have 2 powerheads running so I don't have any dead spots.

Are you going planted or fish only as that will determine the type lighting you want to buy.

I have 12 angelfish, then there are rummynose, cardinal, and diamond tetras, threadfin rainbows, cherry barbs, an albino longfin bristlenose pleco, 3 different types of whiptail cats, oto's, angelicus and red lizard loaches in there.

One day ill have a 200+ Actually totally jealous of anyone who has. Ive actually drempt of a butti tilapia tank while sleeping, arghh:(

Back
Top Bottom