What's next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobandBecca

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my tank setup for just over 5 weeks with 1 bala 1 silver dollar 4 neons 1 angel 2 dwarf gouramis 1 BGK. I was just wondering why i am now only reading ammonia .5 nitrites 0.0 and nitrates 10-20. It has been this way for about a week. I have done two water changes and i keep getting ammonia but not more nitrite. Any ideas?

could be your tank cycling its always good to leave a tank for 2-3 months before adding any livestock

I have had my tank setup for just over 5 weeks with 1 bala 1 silver dollar 4 neons 1 angel 2 dwarf gouramis 1 BGK. I was just wondering why i am now only reading ammonia .5 nitrites 0.0 and nitrates 10-20. It has been this way for about a week. I have done two water changes and i keep getting ammonia but not more nitrite. Any ideas?

What's next is telling us you have a 150G tank :ermm:

If that's not the case you may about to receive some stocking advice :cool:

What's next is telling us you have a 150G tank :ermm:

If that's not the case you may about to receive some stocking advice :cool:

ok thats all well and good. i wouldn't mind either one.

i guess my question is why am i not reading nitrite anymore? the last 4 weeks i have had to do 50% water change everyday because of both ammonia and nitrite. now it just seems to be at a stand still. is this normal?

could be your tank cycling its always good to leave a tank for 2-3 months before adding any livestock

i didn't know anything about cycling until it was too late. so i have been cycling with fish in. any other advice?

It is ok to do fish in cycles a lot of people do them. What size is your tank?

its 55 gallon, and i have been doing these water changes everyday. just wondering why the nitrites stopped and the ammonia leveled off at .5 for about 5 days now. everytime i do a waterchange it goes back up to .5 then no higher...

Usually once nitrites rise and then fall on their own the cycle is done. I'm suspecting your tap water might have ammonia in it; if you haven't already, test your tap for ammonia.

Also, you'll need a larger tank at some point; how large are the fish now?
SIlver dollars do better in a group of 5+. The Neon school could be filled out some too.
The neons could potentially become food for the bala or angels.
The silver dollar could go after the angelfish.
Balas and BGK can grow rather large. A 125+ gal would be a better tank for the semi-near future but even so you have some aggressive fish mixed in, so it's hard to say what'll happen long-term. Just keep an eye out for aggression.

i haven't check my tap water for ammonia i will tonight when i get home. i was hoping my cycle was over. thanks for the help

well there is no ammonia in my tap water. my ammonia in my tank has went down to .25 so i am thinking that i have made it threw my fish in cycle. :lol:

its 55 gallon, and i have been doing these water changes everyday. just wondering why the nitrites stopped and the ammonia leveled off at .5 for about 5 days now. everytime i do a waterchange it goes back up to .5 then no higher...

I'm guessing your tank can't handle your bioload. What sort of filtration do you have?

I cycled for a day added fish the next day 4 months later no lost fish besides a CAE who was killed by my cichlids. I jus think cycling for 2 3 months is ridiculous really lol if people care so so much about fish leave em in the lakes and rivers they come from dnt get me wrong I love And care for my fish but some people on this forum are ridiculous sorry for the rant no disrespect to anyone.

its only because some of the people on the site want to replicate the fish's natural habitat I only cycle because it keeps the tank stable for longer once its fully cycled it gives you a base to work from

I understand but some people are extreme and u can never duplicate the natural environment sadly that's y I say levem were they belong if its that serious. The 2 3 month cycle period jus got to me a little lol after seeing other things that are extreme to me that I ignore.

I understand but some people are extreme and u can never duplicate the natural environment sadly that's y I say levem were they belong if its that serious. The 2 3 month cycle period jus got to me a little lol after seeing other things that are extreme to me that I ignore.

I'm pretty sure comparing cycling to attempting to recreate a bio-tope is incredibly ignorant.

Cynic said:
I'm pretty sure comparing cycling to attempting to recreate a bio-tope is incredibly ignorant.
I said it was extreme right....right extreme cycling. Dnt have to go the ignorant rout got me.

yeah i get what ya saying I supose every one has their own methods of setting up

Back
Top Bottom