Whats the best freshwater planted aquarium substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's the best freshwater planted aquarium substrate?

• Seachem Flourite

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • CaribSea Eco-Complete

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • ADA Aqua Soil

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to choose a substrate for my 10 gal. Freshwater Planted Tank. I've been doing research for several weeks and haven't made up my mind. I have been comparing the content of the substrate, its properties in water, the work involved to prepare it, consumer reviews, and price. After all the investigation I've decided to post a poll here.

The substrates are Seachem Flourite, CaribSea Eco-Complete, and ADA Aquasoil. I left a fourth option, because there is probably another great product out there that I haven't heard of.

I would like to know about your experience using these substrates and which one is your favorite. Please post your thoughts and experience.

I am not a fan of flourite, i don't like the texture of the grains. I love eco and have had good luck. I have read alot lately about ada soil (specifically amazonia 2) breaking down to sludge and having to be careful about disrupting it. It also lets off ammonia for the first month. Another substrate I use alot is soilmaster select but I don't think its made anymore, another similar golf turf product is Turface.

Fertilized sand man, fertilized sand. :D

I love ADA Aquasoil for planted tanks. I won't use anything else, but thats my personal preference. :) It clouds the water when disturbed, but has never been detrimental to my fish...no ammonia that I know of, except when the tank was first setup (great for cycling!). I've seen better plant growth when comparing Aquasoil (I) with Eco Complete....just my experience though. The Aquasoil costs about what Eco and Flourite cost....or a little more.

i used eco-complete in my 40 gal planted and havent had any complaints. had good plant growth right from the start and didnt even use root tabs for 8 months.

I've tried Schultz's aquasoil, flourite and ADA aquasoil and have to say ADA is my favorite. It looks alot better than the other two IMO, and my crypts are thriving in it, my crypts did ok in the other two but now I get about 6 new leaves a week. I'm using Amazonia numero uno, and haven't any complaints about it except it clouds the water when I fill 'er up during a water change, it settles again in about 10 minutes though and within 30 it's crystal clear again.

how do you define best? even the way you define it others wont. best commercial product out there ada soil. would i pay $40 a bag for it like most places.... no way in the world. are eco and flourite good? yes... are they a must? no.

are there any cheap alternatives out there? yes. do they have their drawbacks? yes.

can you make your own substrate thats better then anything you can buy? yes. is it worth it? to each their own.

for me the best is sms. its cheap it goes a long way and away it sucks up a lot of the ferts in the water for the plants to use. only draw back is its hard to find and light weight which causes some people problems.

I'm with Mg. I use only SMS in my low light tanks and it supports the plants I grow.

Q

DSC_0503.jpg

Back
Top Bottom