What's the best snail eating loach or other?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Scales

Aquarium Advice Addict
Help my friends! I have a 29g heavily advanced plant tetra tank. I have lost the battle against those D*** pond snails. I have hundreds of tiny little white babies all over the place. I got 6 assassin snails but they aren't making a dent in them. What is the best snail eating loach or fish? Or do I need to resort to a thermonuclear detonation? LOL Thanks guys for your help. OS.

I have yoyo loaches who ate their way through an entire 66g tank infested with pond snails in less than a fortnight. Though I'm not sure 29g is sufficient size-wise for them. Maybe someone can tell you for sure.

for your tank size i would say that either the polkadot loach or dojo loach would be best. i believe the minimum tank size for 1 of both types is a 20 gallon so you could probably fit 3 of either loach in your tank. definately do research before you make any purchases.

I have three dojo loaches mine have never ate a snail, my yoyo on the other hand destroys them! I have more empty shells than snails now.

yo yo loaches listed as semi-aggressive.

Would this loach be OK with neon and rummy nose tetras and Julie corys?
Thank You, OS.

Semi aggressive? Didn't know that. Mine play, are a little rambunctious like little puppies, but spend almost all their time with their noses in the gravel searching for food, or lounging about on their backs. Playful certainly, but I wouldn't call mine aggressive.

OS I think most loaches are listed semi-aggressive. You know my stock and the loaches have never bothered other fish, only their own kind.

Back
Top Bottom