Whats the best type of canister filter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beaverpig78

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all ! I'm new here and am looking for some advice on using a canister filter i have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and i just don't know what to get. Any info is appreciated. Thank you !

One of my tanks is a 55 and I use a Fluval 406. Seems to be just the right size with enough out flow to keep current in the tank without blowing the fish all over.

I think it will depend on what your budget is! Generally, you get what you pay for. That being said, I went the cheap-o route and got a Sunsun HW-302 (up to 66 gallons) off ebay for peanuts (if I remember correctly, around $50?). Didn't have great reviews, but I've treated it well, and it's treated me well back. If you want to get a filter that you don't have to worry about and can afford, I'd go with a name brand, such as fluval or eheim

If you're not on a budget and just want the best get an Eheim

I have had aquariums as far back as i can remember however i have never used a canister system before so i think i need to go with ease of use as well as quality..... marineland magnum 350 came up in my search it looks decent but as i said i have no clue LOL ;)

I have a fluval 405 and absolutely love it. I also have a magnum 350 and the fluval blows it out the water. But like stated before it depends on your budget.

I just bought the Fluval 306 for my 44gal pentagon, but its not running yet so I can't exactly vouch for it yet. (I'm still waiting for the rest of my crap to come in so I can get this running)

I love the Rena XPs for smaller tanks. They are easy to maintain and do a great job filtering.

My brother has the marineland 350 and he loves it. It does a great job. And has had it almost worry free for 6 years he had one problem and called the company they sent him a brand new
One. No charge.

The Marineland 350s are good filters for mechanical filtering but they dont offer the different media storage options as the competition.

beaverpig78 said:
What are the benefits of multi media options ?

If you struggle with high nitrates you can out nitra-zorb in the media basket. Different kind of rings to build different kinds of bacteria. Adding media is another expense but can help you if with all other things exhausted to get you where you want to be (as in water condition)

i have 2 magnum 350s on my 75 gal and no problems they keep everything in line and crystal clear i clean them once a month and keep them lubed with silicone lube on all gaskets and theres no problem...i read all the bad reviews on it but to the chance on them both ran me for the price of 1 of the next so go with your wallet and do your research pre hand..as for media i use a carbon ammonia mix in 1 and matrix by seachem to build bb

We have the fluval 404 and love it. The output is amazing and creates a really neat current the way we have it set up in our 75. The only downside is that the impeller shaft is really easy to break if you're not careful putting the top on during setup (but we did get it used, so it could just be old).

I've got some Fluval canisters that are a few years old and I can honestly say I've never had to replace anything on them and they have taken some abuse. They are pretty darn durable.

I have a fluval 306, rated up to 75gallons I believe, and its great. Thats all I have tried, but I really like it and the price wasn't bad (around $118 if I remember right)

Back
Top Bottom