Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

whats the best way to acclimate a fish?

I think its drip method, but im not positive.
I know there is also float the bag method. Is there any other ways?
thanks

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Just depends on a lot of factors. For fish shipped in, most of the time it's best to float and drop. For local buys, I always drip. I'm sure there are variations in the way this is done, but that's really the only two methods there are.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Just depends on a lot of factors. For fish shipped in, most of the time it's best to float and drop. For local buys, I always drip. I'm sure there are variations in the way this is done, but that's really the only two methods there are.
Well why is it that shipped fish are usually floated and dropped in? That is weird...
I guess it may be because since shipped fish have been in a bag for so long, they probably need oxygen and fresh water (not unsalty water, just new water) soon.
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
come get me tang police!

you answered your own question. Most fish can acclimate just fine with a float/drop so I think the idea is to get them out of the shipping water asap.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

It's more of a co2, ammonia, pH, o2 thing... but yea

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

i was told by the local fish store to open the bag and add a small amount of my tank water every 5 or so mins and fill it up a couple cups than dump half the water out and do it again than take the net and catch it and put it in the tank
Old 08-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach103
i was told by the local fish store to open the bag and add a small amount of my tank water every 5 or so mins and fill it up a couple cups than dump half the water out and do it again than take the net and catch it and put it in the tank
That's the way I do it but every 15 mins I add about a cup of water for 1 hour but I accumulate slowly then I dump tge bag into a net and add the fish (to my qt of course for a few weeks then into dt)

Tags
acclimate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com