Whats the difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are bigger and look much better. Cardinals have more red.
Neon
ForumRunner_20120629_204621.jpg
Cardinal

ForumRunner_20120629_204615.jpg

Fishandmusic81 said:
Yup cardinals are so much nicer looking and unfortunately harder to find I'm still waiting to find some for my 40 gal

Yeah also more expensive.

How sensitive are cardinals to water? I prefer them to neons but heard they were pickier.

There are actually three species of "neon tetras" (genus Paracheirodon). As in Vanimals photo, cardinals (P. axelrodi) have more red, which extends on to most of the belly. Green neons (P. simulans) look more like regular neons (P. innesi) but have even less red, and the blue stripe on the side is a little lower and extends to the base of the tail.

Tony

DjPotter79 said:
Thanks for the pics. Now I can see the difference... I'm going with the cardinals

Your welcome, and I like the Cardinals more too.

DjPotter79 said:
Thanks for the pics. Now I can see the difference... I'm going with the cardinals

Your welcome, and I like the Cardinals more too.

Oh, I'd forgotten about black neons. They are not closely related to the three real neons (all classified in Paracheirodon), and are instead classified in the genus Hyphessobrycon (as H. herbertaxelrodi). Hyphessobrycon is a much larger genus that includes many of the smaller tetras popular as aquarium fish.

Tony

Cardinal tetras and neon tetras
What's the difference they look the same to me

By now there's been enough replies to point out the differences. I'll add that both will school together ... They don't seem to discriminate between each other.

Cardinals ...my favorite out of the two ...are more sensitive, but once adjusted, do very well.

bud29 said:
Severum Mama is selling cardinal tetras, if you are trying to find a place to buy them. Look at her ad in the classifieds section.

Do you know how much they cost?

Back
Top Bottom