Whats the hardest fish to keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine are 14in. And 12in. But they get like 3 feet in the wild and 2 feet in captivity but a 75 and up should be big enough.

what do you guys think? what is the hardest fish to keep? besides discus, oscars and cichlids? IMHO, i think itd have to be iridescent sharks, or the african clawed frog... OPINIONS!

Not to mention that most cichlids are rather easy to keep. Most SA(south american) and NW (new world) and africans are very hardy fish. Oscars and most cichlids are probably some of the easiest to keep if you house them correctly.

Then there are SA/NW like discus, angelfish and GBR (german blue rams and gold rams) that are notorious for being sensitive. Their water must be kept at certain levels.

Three things all cichlids require:

1) clean water
2) properly sized housing
3) the right food

No offense, but if you are attempting judgement on difficult fish to care for then the discussion should be on actual husbandry and not tank volume. I can tell you from exp. that arapaima, arowanas (asian or south american), and discus are all fairly simple husbandry-wise if you have the proper display and the same goes for most animals. Since this is a fw thread, I honestly cannot think of a fish that is difficult other than those that go on/off feedings periodically.

Might be pertinent to keep the thread relevant to FW/Brackish fish since that's what the title states along with animals most hobbyists can keep because then it opens for discussion many fish/amphibians/aquatic reps. A person would never see except in a public aquarium...if even then :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom