What's the longest living fish I can have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I vote kuhliis / javas with a bolivian ram!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So just one Bolivian ram? Are they aggressive or something? How long do those typically live? Of course before I do anything I'll probably do a million years of research!

NatureFish
????

I suppose you could get a pair. I wouldn't I guess. I'd keep 1 ram with a betta or something like that. Oh one other thing, you'll need the heater around 80-81 especially with the loaches. They are scaleless and cannot tolerate low temperature fluxes.

You do realize I'm a beginner right? Do you think the loaches and the ram will be too much to handle and are they forgiving when it comes to parameters?

NatureFish
????

This one will live forever providing new batteries are installed regularly, and you're not my neighbor, lol ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411265865.125368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Haha my grandfather had one!!! It used to scare the you know what out of me as a kid! It was so loud!

NatureFish
????

Do you think I could fit a red tail shark in there?

NatureFish
????

Oh and I forgot to mention that its ok if the fish doesn't live a long time as long as it will breed frequently. And another question I had was If I could breed fish in this ten gallon for profit what breed would be best?

NatureFish
????

NatureFish
????

The fact your fish are dyeing has more to do with how they are being kept in your tank vs the fish themselves.
Fish can last around ten years in captivity, give or take a couple.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My fish aren't dying... I mean I've had fish dye before but it was a result of a predator and the bettas lived to be about 3 which is standard life span...

NatureFish
????

I'm a little confused here...

First you say you want a fish with a maximum lifespan because you hate things dying, then you say lifespan doesn't matter as long as they breed frequently and you can sell the offspring?

And you want to do this in a 10 gallon tank?

Here's my take on things... Death is a part of life. It happens. Some creatures have long lifespans (your koi, you) while some creatures have shorter lifespans. Everything dies, it's just a matter of lifespan.

That doesn't even take into account outside variables, such as environment, disease, or predation. And this is where your 10 gallon tank comes in: It's a smaller size, so it's more apt to have rapidly changing parameters than a larger tank, which may very quickly lead to non-ideal conditions for your wet pet. While it may not directly kill the fish, it can stress it to the point of compromising its immune system which can lead to infection and death.

As far as the breeding goes, you can rapidly overpopulate a 10 gallon tank with little babies. A 10 gallon tank is not something you'll be able to breed and sell fish out of.

If you want to have a long-living population of creatures, turn the 10 gallon into a shrimp tank. Get some Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS for short) and watch them go. You may start with 10 and very quickly have many, many more. They have a small bio load, so you should be able to keep water quality high.

If the tank was 50+ gallons, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Eh.
I have one in a heavily planted 36 for over a year and seems fine. But I wouldn't go smaller than that.

For a 10, I'd go 4 neons, a bolivian ram, and 3 java loaches. Sand substrate and C2 filter. Water at 80 degrees,ph 6.5, driftwood and heavily planted.

Bolivian rams in my opinion are quite possibly the hardiest fish I've come across excluding a betta.

I'm a little confused here...

First you say you want a fish with a maximum lifespan because you hate things dying, then you say lifespan doesn't matter as long as they breed frequently and you can sell the offspring?

And you want to do this in a 10 gallon tank?

Here's my take on things... Death is a part of life. It happens. Some creatures have long lifespans (your koi, you) while some creatures have shorter lifespans. Everything dies, it's just a matter of lifespan.

That doesn't even take into account outside variables, such as environment, disease, or predation. And this is where your 10 gallon tank comes in: It's a smaller size, so it's more apt to have rapidly changing parameters than a larger tank, which may very quickly lead to non-ideal conditions for your wet pet. While it may not directly kill the fish, it can stress it to the point of compromising its immune system which can lead to infection and death.

As far as the breeding goes, you can rapidly overpopulate a 10 gallon tank with little babies. A 10 gallon tank is not something you'll be able to breed and sell fish out of.

If you want to have a long-living population of creatures, turn the 10 gallon into a shrimp tank. Get some Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS for short) and watch them go. You may start with 10 and very quickly have many, many more. They have a small bio load, so you should be able to keep water quality high.

+1

Sent from my iPhone

Will a ramshorn snail eat the plants in my tank?

NatureFish
????

If you are looking for something unique, try freshwater sponges. Go to Science Supplies & Curriculum - STEM - Chemistry and look up freshwater sponges. You can keep them with inverts and fish (personally I wouldn't do fish because it will be a lot of work in a 10 gallon), or you can do 4 african dwarf frogs. They live 10+ years and are hardy. The sponges live pretty much forever but you need to feed them green water. Keep the nitrate low by planting lots of bog plants in HOB filters (that's what I do and my nitrate never go above 5ppm in my 32g goldfish tank). Again, that's what I'll do if I had a 10 gallon. I already have that setup on a 7 gallon, so if you have any question you can ask me.

Back
Top Bottom