What's the longest living fish I can have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really hate it when anything dies that's why I would like to have something in my ten gallon that's hardy and won't die for a long time. I keep switching back and forth on different species I can have but there's always that special something that changes your mind! In this case it was life span... So what can I have that's not going to only live for a few years? The longest living fish I have are koi which can be 50+. I'm not looking for anything to out live me just something that will live longer than the average tropical fish.

NatureFish
????

How are your water conditions?

My friend had some cat fish that lived about 10 years. The only cat fish you should have in a 10 gallon would be pygmy cory cat fish though.

Goldfish can live 20+ years, but should never be in anything smaller than at least a 30 gallon, but I believe they should be in something larger than that!

I have goldfish but they are in my pond and in my 280 gallon fountain. I wish I could get something exotic like a dwarf puffer but that will never work since I'm inexperienced with that kind of thing. So Pygmy Cory what are they like?

NatureFish
????

I have goldfish but they are in my pond and in my 280 gallon fountain. I wish I could get something exotic like a dwarf puffer but that will never work since I'm inexperienced with that kind of thing. So Pygmy Cory what are they like?

NatureFish
????

Ohh ok.

They are very cute! There are three kinds. This link should help :)
View topic - Tell me about dwarf corydoras

Oh i like the Corydora Habrosus a lot! How long do they live? They are so cute!!!

NatureFish
????

The mighty internet says 1-5 years, but, that can vary I'm sure. I am not sure what kind my friend had that lived about 10 years though.

Can you ask her? ☺ I really want one now! Are they best by themselves or in groups? How easy are they to Breed?

NatureFish
????

Can you ask her? ☺ I really want one now! Are they best by themselves or in groups? How easy are they to Breed?

NatureFish
????

I'll definitely ask her. Oh they need to be in groups of 4-5 minimum. They like to group/shoal together. If you only get one or two they will be pretty unhappy as well.

I am not sure about breeding... do a little research but I can try to find some links for you too :)

Koi can live to be well over a hundred years old, but not in a ten gallon tank. :brows:

Seriously, in a ten gallon tank most of the fish you can get will have life spans averaging 2-5 years, and that is with great conditions.
If you want fish that can live a relatively long life in captivity, you need to go much larger and start thinking cichlids or similar medium/large fish.

You can put a Bolivian Ram in a 10 gallon. I've done it. Still alive. He's now in a 20, but did fine in a 10 for 2 years.

Koi can live to be well over a hundred years old, but not in a ten gallon tank. :brows:

Seriously, in a ten gallon tank most of the fish you can get will have life spans averaging 2-5 years, and that is with great conditions.
If you want fish that can live a relatively long life in captivity, you need to go much larger and start thinking cichlids or similar medium/large fish.

I actually have koi already! I just put it in the edit of the first post in this thread. A Cichlid tank looks like it could get pretty expensive since you are actually supposed to crowd the tank.

NatureFish
????

Wow that is amazing about Koi!

Why such a short span in a 10g tank? Is it because of the size or the kind of fish?

I had a koi be 20 yrs old but then a stupid egret murdered it and left the head...

NatureFish
????

I really wish I had the tank for a clown loach! Such beautiful fish...

NatureFish
????

Why not get a 55 and a jack Dempsey? ! They live for a good while.. nothing in a 10 is going to go all that long as they'd be a smaller species. I've heard of bettas going 4 years;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The problem isn't the money or anything it's that I have very small space to work with! Why couldn't my room be a foot longer?!

NatureFish
????

Wow that is amazing about Koi!

Why such a short span in a 10g tank? Is it because of the size or the kind of fish?

Well first an aquarium of any size is not going to be ideal for koi, regardless of what anybody tells you.
Then figure that they get about 3'-5' long when housed properly, and you have your reasons they will never live long in a tank.

The ideal koi setup will be multiple thousands of gallons with areas that are deep, areas that are shallow and calm and areas that are like a river and then they will be in fishy heaven.:fish1:

I have to be appreciative for what I have so looks like i'll have to get over my issue with dead stuff.... No I'm not going to!!! It's too gross! Isn't there anything that lives for a good while out there? Is there some kind of a fresh water eel type of thing that loves long?!

NatureFish
????

Why not get a 55 and a jack Dempsey? ! They live for a good while.. nothing in a 10 is going to go all that long as they'd be a smaller species. I've heard of bettas going 4 years;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a betta that was around 5 or 6. I have 4 females in my 20 gallon now. But a male Bolivian Ram will do just fine in a 10g. Keep it planted with a nice filtration system and add CO2. He'll do quite well in a tank that size. You can probably put a few neons/cardinals with the Bolivian Ram. They are quite docile fish. If you put a betta with the Ram (which I did), just make sure there are hiding spots.

Well first an aquarium of any size is not going to be ideal for koi, regardless of what anybody tells you.
Then figure that they get about 3'-5' long when housed properly, and you have your reasons they will never live long in a tank.

The ideal koi setup will be multiple thousands of gallons with areas that are deep, areas that are shallow and calm and areas that are like a river and then they will be in fishy heaven.:fish1:

My koi are in a 800 gallon pond that's 4 feet deep in the middle and some places that's about 1 foot . I'm pretty sure they have enough room...
They don't breed very often but I think I never see fry because they get eaten by there monster size parents...

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom