whats the name of my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarrette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
trying to identify my sucker fish so i can do some research on him, any info would be greatly appreciated. :D

sucker.jpg

Almost certainly a Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilos aymonieri). Though, possibly a Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilos siamensis). Almost certainly the CAE, though. I've had a few.

P.S. If it's a CAE. Get rid of him... He'll grow to 10 inches, get aggressive, and may stop eating your algae. Get a dwarf pleco instead (e.g. Candy Stripe, King Tiger, Bushy Nose, Queen Arabesque). Trust me on this one. I've had them, and now have plecos. Plecos are much more attractive, peaceful, and more manageable!

It looks like what I have, er, had. He went to go live with someone else who has fish like him. I never did find out for sure what it was (some said flying fox, some said cae), but it did get aggressive and stop eating algae. It preferred flake food and picking on other fish.

I have a CAE and he is starting to get aggesive toward my red tailed black shark who in the past has always been the bully. What would you suggest? Would the LFS likely take it for a trade? I will not have room for him if he gets to be 10inches.

Probably wouldn't trade! The CAEs are a dime a dozen. No LFS wants them! But you could probably give it back. And then get a pleco instead! www.liveaquaria.com has a decent list of dwarf plecos, but it's just been abridged. Check out their pleco link for suggestions, and see what I've mentioned above.

Although it is a bit hard to tell from the pic, I think it might possibly be a flying fox, Epalzeorhynchus kallopterus (if I remember correctly).

Yeah, some disagreement. Understandably. Any way you can get a shot of the fish from the side? I'm still pretty convinced by the shape of the mouth that it's a CAE.

Back
Top Bottom