What's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it snail love?

img_747211_0_cd95578d898e60512fcbad08c14dd8db.jpg

This happens every so often, maybe a couple of times a week but the black snail doesn't seem to appreciate it much. He usually goes "inside" and waits it out, it seems. Its always the Blue snail sitting on the black snail and some times it goes on for what seems like forever. They just sit there... locked in their snail embrace.

Really? No one can tell me what's going on here?

I always thought they were mating but I have had these snails for a couple of months and never found eggs. I am just curious because sometimes it seems like harassment on the part of the blue one.

can you make a link to the picture so we can see it in higher res and bigger cant really tell.

Right before I found a bunch of eggs at the top of my aquarium, that's what my snails were doing. If htere isnt' enough area above the water line for them to lay the eggs, you probably wouldn't see the eggs. I'm sure it'd be a nice snack for your fish. I wanted the eggs to hatch, so I didn't top off my tank untill they hatched, and there still weren't too many eggs that got above the water line.

well can u ever see a pp? lol, i feel so stupid typing that, but really u should be able to see a sheath getting pulled out when the top snail is done.

Well, I have never seen them, um, finish. The very first time it happened I thought that it was because the black snail has some algae on it's shell that the other one was after. But they lay there motionless like that for sooo long that I quickly discounted that. I am still surprised that I haven't found any eggs.

Um. I'm not exactly sure but I think there may already be babies. I just noticed a LOT of eensey weensey snails in my christmas moss. They don't look like the hitchhikers I know some of the plants brought home. I actually haven't even noticed snails like these in there before. I can't get a clear pic since they're so small, but they have spiral shaped shells and they are basically white/translucent.

Am I a grandma?

Oh, I forgot to mention, often when this happens, the black snail goes completely "inside". Obviously there's no reproducin' going on then...

Mystery snails lay pink eggs above the waterline so more than likely you would have seen the egg sack but I guess its possible that she laid the eggs on the back underside of the cover - a place you may not look very often. The eggs take from 1 - 3 wks to hatch.
The babies are very "round" (as opposed to pond snail hatchlings that have a point on each end) so if thats what you're seeing then CONGRATS !

flushingfish said:
Too much snail *beep* for one day. LOL
onah said:
well can u ever see a pp? lol, i feel so stupid typing that, but really u should be able to see a sheath getting pulled out when the top snail is done.
shayfish said:
Well, I have never seen them, um, finish.
8O Dang, we might need a new subforum.

Yes, this has surely been a whole lotta snail *beep*.

Their shells are pointy, yes, so maybe they are some of my hitchhikers product.

LOL! I don't know... there must be something in the water!!

My tank is such a crazy place.... :D

Back
Top Bottom