What's under your tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I could do that... but then what would my excuse to get a miter saw be?

No need for a saw they cut plywood at Home Depot and Lowes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just keep fingers and electic cords away from the blade and everything should go smoothly.

Couldn't you use a skillsaw to cut the 2x4s?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No need for a saw they cut plywood at Home Depot and Lowes

Those are my favorite toy stores! Got a nice compound mitre saw with roller extensions from my father in law (he upgraded his) that makes cutting crown moulding and 6" baseboards easy.
Of course the design phase needs to reviewed by the wife. Something about aesthetics. Might as well add a towel rack on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It was on offer.

(Try and borrow one if it's just a small job, hire it if you don't know anybody)

If you can't think of a reason to use it twice rent or borrow.

I would agree on this. Depends on opportunity for additional usage. I am lucky that most of my tools are hand me downs from someone who loves building things. I have renovated several rooms in my house and they get a lot of use.
Yes, this looks like a DIY thread...

I love the answer to this one ... And wish I could figure out how to add photos once the storage limit is reached!

My grandmother was a kindergarten teacher. When her school remodeled in the mid 80s, she bought some of the old desks for her grand kids. They are probably from the 1950s ... Strong birch tops with metal legs that adjust to different heights. 2'x4', meant for two students.

My dad helped me sand and refinish it when I was a teenager.

I've lived all over the country since then and this is the one piece of furniture I've always had with me. Desk, tv stand, display table for family photos ... Eventually dropped the height and used it as a coffee table for years. My son learned to stand and walk holding onto it ... Etc. Etc.

It's the strongest piece of furniture I own, so of course ...

Underneath I have a banged up black steamer trunk from Goodwill. The fish supplies live in there. The cables and cords curl up well under the lip of the table.

When I upgrade from the 29 I'm going to be sad to not have this under my tank anymore!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I love the answer to this one ... And wish I could figure out how to add photos once the storage limit is reached!

My grandmother was a kindergarten teacher. When her school remodeled in the mid 80s, she bought some of the old desks for her grand kids. They are probably from the 1950s ... Strong birch tops with metal legs that adjust to different heights. 2'x4', meant for two students.

My dad helped me sand and refinish it when I was a teenager.

I've lived all over the country since then and this is the one piece of furniture I've always had with me. Desk, tv stand, display table for family photos ... Eventually dropped the height and used it as a coffee table for years. My son learned to stand and walk holding onto it ... Etc. Etc.

It's the strongest piece of furniture I own, so of course ...

Underneath I have a banged up black steamer trunk from Goodwill. The fish supplies live in there. The cables and cords curl up well under the lip of the table.

When I upgrade from the 29 I'm going to be sad to not have this under my tank anymore!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Get photobucket account, then you can use tags to insert images into forum posts. It's definitely not as convenient but it works well.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool thread!

I (over)built my stand from dimensional lumber, skinned it with red oak ply, and made solid oak doors for it. I mounted an under cabinet light in there too. Really comes in handy! The CO2 setup is not being used right now, but there's plenty of room under there to just leave it.

img_3096473_0_b94f6c76eb672834581feef72a57e7df.jpg

Very nice setup! The very long power strip is a great idea, makes access for timers and larger plugs easier.

Our 10g is on top of an old TV stand. The kind of stand made for an old, heavy, big TV. The small side shelves holds test kits and such.

Newby here! I haven't done a formal introduction because my laptop is being repaired and can't figure out how to post a new thread from tapatalk! This is below my 90 fw community tank. Let's see if this works...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416884492780.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416884492780.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 74
Newby here! I haven't done a formal introduction because my laptop is being repaired and can't figure out how to post a new thread from tapatalk! This is below my 90 fw community tank. Let's see if this works...

Welcome! That's a hugeeee net!! You got a dolphin In their :D

Welcome! That's a hugeeee net!! You got a dolphin In their :D

:ROFLMAO: yeah! Somebody needs to feed flipper!

Big nets are really useful, combined with a small net it makes catches very simple. Big net goes in first and the fish retreat into the small net, of course that isn't always how it works out! Erm, 2 nets are better than 1.

:ROFLMAO: yeah! Somebody needs to feed flipper!

Big nets are really useful, combined with a small net it makes catches very simple. Big net goes in first and the fish retreat into the small net, of course that isn't always how it works out! Erm, 2 nets are better than 1.

Good point J! I've officially given up on netting healthy fish in my tanks.. they're all heavily planted and naturally decorated with net snagging branches. Fishy wants to stay?? Fishy stays... although the last time I netted my pair of panduro they literally swam right into the net! I was singing to them at the time though.. and everybody told always told me I can't carry a tune for .......... hah!!

If you're planning a move, starve them for a few days, bigger fish starve longer. That's what I do, it really reduces the fishes energy levels.
(Only if you can! Some fish might get nasty with each other so be careful!)

Here's where the other end of the net comes in handy, use the handle to drive the fish from the plants, work it into a corner and scoop it up in net 2. I have a mechanical grabber type thing which I use on a bigger tank, it's a fish friendly thing that came with a scissor head and a gripper head, it's easier to use in deeper water vs a net. (Saved me thousands of wet arms too)

Nothing is foolproof though, sometimes you still need to just strip a tank bare!
:facepalm:
Sometimes it just ain't fun! :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom