What's up with my Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a common that would lay upside down at the surface and let the current from the filter push him around, day or night, light or dark. They're definitely my favorite species.

I really like plecos...

Sorry I can't offer any more advice but I'll repeat that you should just give him time to adjust and make sure he has a hiding place where movement in the room won't stress him, and where he can get out of the light.

I wonder what the LFS would say if I told them that I wanted to fire Spot and hire another Plecco? They already think I'm kind of crazy so maybe they wouldn't be too surprised.

Just site irreconcilable differences. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you think the LFS in question will only sell Spot to an aquarist who will give him a good home, then you can feel comfortable returning him. If they sell whatever to whomever (oscars for a 10gal, for example) then I'd consider Spot to be in good hands and get yourself a Mag-Float. :wink:

Missed your post, Menagerie - what you said! :lol:

These days, you can't fire anyone for anything, it seems - they might cite discrimination....

What is a Mag-Float?

I have a good LFS. However, I don't think that they would exchange a Pleco because he is lazy. They only have a 7 day guarantee for death not laziness.

I will hold onto Spot because he is now part of the family. Come to think of it, my kids also hate to clean!

Well, Spot is working very hard now. He moves from one resting place to another. Last night he layed about 1 1/2 inches from the zuchini which was tied to the flat part of the driftwood. I think he was waiting for me to move it closer to him!!

Out of curiosity, are these guys suppose to clean the green algae that has been sitting on the glass for awhile or the fresh algae?

Plecos are much better at getting the brown stuff and the newer green algae. The little green spots give them trouble, you'll want to just get a scraper and get rid of that yourself.

Well, my pleco died sometime this morning. He was on his back in the middle of the tank. I checked him out carefully and he looked really healthy so I don't know what happened. I had been treating the tank with ICH but only using aqualisol, heat and salt so I don't think it was the medicine. I guess we will wait another couple of weeks after this treatment and try again.

I'm sorry to hear about Spot. If he wasn't eating, that could have been part of the problem.
I would discontinue the use of the med for treating ich--heat and salt works great on it's own. Most meds kill everything and you just hope your fish out last the thing you are trying to kill.

I think he was eating but his stomach was not sucken in. The medicine is only aquar-isol which is very mild but effective. I only have a couple of days left and no one is scratching and the tank looks clear.

Well, a couple of days ago my daughter and I went out to buy "Spot 2". This time we went with a little guy. He is about one inch from his head to the end of his tail. He is soooo cute. It appeared that all of the plecos in the tank looked really active and healthly this time. In any event, we have had this guy for three days now and he never sleeps. He is active all day long, cleaning the whole tank. Yesterday, I rewarded him with a piece of zuchini which he seemed to love.

well scratch what I wrote... didn't bother to read the last page...

im sorry about your loss.. I actually had two that died last week, they were hardy little baby plecos (less than an inch each that my parents had bought back in october).. :(

this little guy is not shy or lazy. He never stops. He cleans the ground, the glass and even the stone cave.

Sorry about your pleco.

You gotta love plecosti or plecostomuses (however its pronounced in plural form).

Mine's 14" long and is a lot different from any other I've seen. He eats of the top, chases my goldfish, and even eats smaller goldfish. I've never been much for naming my fish, but we've named him Death. (He's jet black).

My other pleco is a little 2 inch rubber nose.

Back
Top Bottom