what's wrong here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I find my 2 Oscars and Jack like this

ForumRunner_20120115_223918.jpg

What's wrong here??? I also have a Pleco and another albino Oscar but they are fine and swimming. All my parameters are good, what could have caused this? Are they sick or what

Yes the gravel and they were doing this a bunch today and its not normal at all for the Jack to do that. The Oscars do it occasionally but not for extended periods of time but I'm doing a 50% water change right now to see if that helps.

Poor fish. I hope they are ok. How long have they been in the tank? Any new tankmates or anything?
Hopefully the pwc helps.

absolutangel04 said:
Poor fish. I hope they are ok. How long have they been in the tank? Any new tankmates or anything?
Hopefully the pwc helps.

The newest is my albino Oscar and I think it helped a little but I'm not sure

bruinsbro1997 said:
How big is the tank and what is the water quality?

The tank is 110gallons and the water quality is good. I just finished changing it so it will be crystal clear by morning and the parameters are perfect. Ph-7.4, ammo-0, no2-0, no3-20ppm

Yeah, your params are good. I am honestly not sure what to tell you in this instance. I was asking about new tankmates to see if anybody might have introduced something into the tank. But, I am not sure since the new fish is fine.
Let us know if anything changes. Maybe somebody else will have some better advise.

Might be a silly question, what temperature are you keeping your tank set at?

Mlani said:
Might be a silly question, what temperature are you keeping your tank set at?

I don't think it's silly :) i think some fish have different preferences on temperatures. With my blood parrots i first had my temp at 76, because that's what i heard they liked..but when i turned the temp up to 80 they perked right up.

Is there a chance that the new albino is being dominant and picking on the other three? How big is the albino in comparison to the rest? How long after the new addition did they start acting like this?

Mlani said:
Is there a chance that the new albino is being dominant and picking on the other three? How big is the albino in comparison to the rest? How long after the new addition did they start acting like this?

Like 3 days after I added the albino and the albino is the smallest Oscar but he is bigger than the Jack

Who was the tank boss? Or did you notice if you had one? I'm thinking if it's not bacteria, infections or environmental could it be behavior based on the personalities of the fish? I know when I had my oscars they had tremendous characters! They would show such a range of attitudes and sensitivities to new or different things that I would add or take away from their tank. When you added the albino did you switch the tank up a little? Decor wise?

Yes I had a tank boss but he is siting at the bottom and the albino is the only fish that is actually swimming. All the fish seem to have a haze on their eyes now

No I didn't but how would that affect the well being of my other 2 Oscars and my Jack? The Jack seems to be breathing extra hard and I did add 3 tablespoons of salt in the tank yesterday but its a 110g tank with a 30g sump

I only speak from my experiences, when I had two oscars one tiger one albino a pleco and a jd, when I added the jd and didn't change things up a bit my oscars hid in a corner and wouldn't come out for anything. No food not to play nothing! Then I changed the decor by chance and it worked. My albino was the tank boss and when the jd came in he took over scaring the crap out of my other two. I only suggest it because it worked for me. You said your parameters are all good that there's no sign of infection, try switching up your tank a little and see what happens?

That will help,sometimes a couple more tank mates will help as well,there is too much going on for one fish to be the target

Back
Top Bottom