whats wrong with my guaromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All three of them are at the surface and it looks like they are gasping for air at the top....any ideas? I have an air stone going and none of the other fish are doing it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110720_173712.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110720_173712.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 83
BfishLpond78 said:
All three of them are at the surface and it looks like they are gasping for air at the top....any ideas? I have an air stone going and none of the other fish are doing it.

Normal gourami behavior, in the wild they live in shallow pools and swamps so they have a special organ called the labirynth organ that let's them take air from the surface.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Normal gourami behavior, in the wild they live in shallow pools and swamps so they have a special organ called the labirynth organ that let's them take air from the surface.

Just like a betta.. man you guys are good with your productive responses!

Awesome. Thanks alot i appreciate the quick response. Any idea what kind that one in the photo is?

Oh wow thats pretty crazy. Ya i have a "trio" is what the guy at the store said one male and 2 females so that each female gets a break from being harassed by the male. Beautiful colors.

BfishLpond78 said:
Oh wow thats pretty crazy. Ya i have a "trio" is what the guy at the store said one male and 2 females so that each female gets a break from being harassed by the male. Beautiful colors.

Trios are good ways to keep gouramis, I kept a trio for quite a bit back in the day before a massive die-off.

I would say they are my current center piece fish. Also have female/male black sailfin mollies and 20 neons in my 55 gal

BfishLpond78 said:
I would say they are my current center piece fish. Also have female/male black sailfin mollies and 20 neons in my 55 gal

Wow that's a lot of fish! Did you cycle your tank??? Wow twenty neons, and I thought my school of 10 was impressive. :)

I sure did. Followed the fishless guide to the T. Good amount of low light plants and the neons are itty bitty guys and really look great schooling around.

This is it. New to plants so my aqua scaping skills are sub par.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110720_180406.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110720_180406.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom