Whats Wrong With My Tiger Barb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SammiYoung

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hes always in the same spot 90% of the time, unless the other barbs are chasing him around. He always has his tail upwards and just floats there...Is he sick or is that normal??

Attachments

• Fishies 006.jpg
    Fishies 006.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Fishies 005.jpg
    Fishies 005.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 110
Could be a pregnant female about to lay her eggs? I don't know too much about egg-layers, but live-bearers will assume that position, or even higher.

Well I also have live bearers, which have had fry and they never did that...That tiger barb has been doing that for about 4 weeks now and spends about 90% of her time there. She only goes elsewhere if its feeding time or the other barbs decided to chase her. She doesnt seem to have a belly or anything. I also dont know much about fish that lay eggs :confused:

I have 6 tigers. I'll check mine out tonight. But I think my dominant one likes to stay in that position at times.

that one is definatly not the dominant one. That one gets chased by the dominant male....I have one male and 2 females.

He might be like that because he's being picked on. Usually people with tiger barbs say they need bigger groups to spread out aggression.

Females even get bullied by males? I only have one male and 2 females. Im not going to get any more tiger barbs cause Im hopeing for them to die off. Kind of harsh but not like I'm not letting them live out their lives. I want to get some angel fish but cant till the tiger barbs are gone lol They really are bullies, well the male is anyways. He wants to chase everyone around. :D

I had a group of three barbs, they fought until one died, at which point I separated the remaining two. Then I bought three more - you really should get at least five, 6 is much better.

Yeah, getting those three overcrowded my tank which introduced new problems as well.

I can't really say what's wrong with your barb - when she swims, does she swim without problems? Can she change depths, directions, and bearings easily?

yeah she is fine when its feeding time or when she is being chased around by the male TB. Sometimes she floats completely vertical in that same area or directly behind the filter. Shes a weird one...I already have 3 sunset platies, 2 bala sharks, 2 painted tetras (pink and blue), 2 TB, 1 green TB, 2 plecos (one small, one large), 2 platy fry's, and 3 african frogs

Another vote for tiger barbs being a fish you really can't get away with having only a few of, especially around other fish. Although, when I had them, just holding still with their noses pointed down was fairly common.

She only leaves that spot when the male chases her or when im feeding them. Other than that, she runs back behind the filter and hides and looks like she quivering. And is always nose down. Im starting to think that shes scared and hiding from the male.

My Barb's do the same thing I was going to post about it as well. The thing that freaks me out the most is he likes to hang out by the heater. but they have been doing it for so long that I think nothing of it.

ok thanks...maybe that tiger barb just likes being a loner lol

Sounds like you need more barbs in the tank. I had a similar problem when I only had three, one male and two females. One practically lived it's entire life behind the filter. Finally, I added three more and now they are the most enjoyable, harmonious fish I've had. It completely changed my opinion of them because I was ready to "get rid" of them, too. But once I was able to see their true nature in a school, I discovered that they really are great fish. If you really don't want anymore of them, please consider finding this one a new home with someone who can provide a school of at least 6 barbs. This one looks depressed and that's a pretty awful existence for a schooling fish.

Sounds like you need more barbs in the tank. I had a similar problem when I had one male and two females. One spent it's entire life hiding behind the filter. I decided to add three more and it completely changed the dynamic in my tank, as well as my opinion of these fish, because I wasn't enjoying them and all the aggression either. They are schooling fish in nature and once they are allowed to live that way, that are very peaceful fish and fun to have and will not bother anyone else in the tank. I love mine now and am glad that I didn't give up on them. If you really don't want any more barbs, please try and find a new home for this one where it will be allowed to live in a school of at least 6. You may be letting it live out its life but this is a sad and pitiful existence for this fish if it is forced to live this way, and in my opinion cruel. Maybe a lfs would consider taking your barbs in trade for something else.

thanks everyone...i think i will try a couple more barbs and give them a chance

Back
Top Bottom