whats your......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Under gravel filter and external filters(set on the glass)

i forgot too add mine :roll:
i like canister filters the most because of the wide range of media too choose from as well as the extra large space for bacteria too colonize.

so here's something new for everybody...
it's a very very simple setup, you don't have to clean it (maybe after 2 yrs), it's safe for fry and it's a great biological filter. we call it the hamburg filter.
you just get a filter mat (the blue stuff). it should be as big as your side glass, more or less. you can fix it to the aquarium glass so it makes a bow, a quarter-circle from, say, the rear glass to the side glass. it has to be 1" higher than the water level. it's important that it's tight, so that the water flows through it, and doesn't flow at the sides of it or over it.
behind this mat, you put a pump, which sucks the water to the space behind the mat. put a small tube hhhmmm at the pump's "exit" over the mat back into the aquarium and your filter is ready. that's all!
it's really cheap, easy to handle, and on top of it, you can plant it with java moss or something on the mat. behind the mat, you can put your heater. it won't look like a filter at all after some time!
there are more kinds of spaces you can build with the mat, e.g. rectangular, or you leave it flat and put an air pump behind it.... great for very small tanks.
NEVER had any problems with this. only to be cleaned when water level behind mat is lower than in front of the mat.

what'ya think?? 0X

My tanks are smaller so I use AC Minis. They are great and easy to care for, plus the basket is big and allows me to add whatever I want in it. My 5 gallon betta tank just uses a sponge and bubble filter cause he lives alone.

Silvi-p, I think I need to see a picture of that! It sounds really cool...but really difficult for me to picture...

I use a HOB power filter. I like it lots. I've used undergravel filters in the past, in fact, that's what's on my Betta's tank, but I hate it. Because you have to actually break down the whole tank every once in a while because so much gunk gets under that plate thingy. EWWWW I didn't like that part...I have a mini filter thingy on my 10 gal. It's SO quiet. Sometimes I have to put my ear real close to make sure it's still running!!! I really want one of those wheel thingies. I think I might buy one as a second filter for my 55 gal.

I think the filterSilvi-p describes is basically an internal filter without any kind of housing, so you wall off a corner of the tank to act as a filter, behind which you hide your pump that draws water through the fiber. I really like this idea and can imagine it is particularly good for growout tanks for fry or for any fish that does not like a lot of current. It is a more "natural" and minimalistic approach, which is a great thing, IMO. Something to consider for my 10-gal, and get rid of the black box hanging off the back and taking up space.

Otherwise, I like my canister filter, except it is an Eheim and is a minor pain to maintain. It only needs to be cracked open about every 3 months, so not too bad. The filter media is layered and you have to dump out each section to get to the next. That said, I believe it is a fabulous filter that will probably last me many, many years. I have a Penguin 125 on the 10-gal which seems to do the job, and it has the biowheel. However, there is no biowheel on my canister, but lots of porous media that seems to keep my biofilter running smoothly. My two other tanks are Eclipses, which have the filter built into the hood, again wtih the Biowheel. They seem to do the job, and the integrated filter/light fixture/hood idea takes up less space.

i use a fluval 404 on my 29 gallon and it works like a champ. I have modified it some, instead of the duck bill diffuser, I use a spray bar, and instead of the cheap-o strainer, I use an aquaclear quick-filter with the foam removed.

on my 30 gallon, I used to have it setup with a sump wet/dry filter, which worked wonderfully. the water in the main tank was always constant, and to change water I just drain and refill the sump, no stress for the fish from having their water drained and new stuff poured in. now the 30 just has a pair of whisper 2 HOB filters.

my 10 gallon QT tank has a pengiun mini, and my 10 gallon nursery has a whisper C

I also like the *unhoused filter* as you call it (cool name) because it is so mega-stable. you never have to replace the mat, and there's no maintenance. AT ALL. one backdraw is that it might appear big, but on the other hand that's the advantage as well - bacteria have lots and lots of substrate.

I imagine this type of filter would be quiet, as well. If you plant it, as you suggest, it becomes less of a piece of equipment and more of a functional tank decoration.

i'm really liking the tetratec filter with the built in heater module :) I'm running one in a 10g thats now a growout tank.

its loud though, but has a surge/syphon thing on it that constantly fills and empties a sponge for bio :)

its big for a HOTB :(

My 55 has a fluval 304 and an aerated bio-sponge. The fluval is absolutely quiet and handles 3 different media types. The water is always clean.

The 20 gallon has an aquaclear 300 once again water is clean. I like this HOB because it has room for 3 different types of media and if only run with two, leaves a space for fry when they get sucked into the filter. This filter is a little loud, but once the lid is removed it becomes quiet (engineering flaw?).

The 15 gallon has an aerated Bio-sponge. This is my feeder fish tank so stuff is in and out, stays pretty clean.

The 10 gallon has a lee's aerated cotton/charcoal filter. It's pretty weak and cleaning is very limited. I use it for my fry tank normally.

My cats water bowl has a whisper mini HOB, not sure of the model number.

My cats water bowl has a whisper mini HOB, not sure of the model number.[/quote]

thats exactly what my cat needs, she always has food in her water.

It works great....oh and this filter is very quiet and for it's small size keeps a 10 gallon fairly clean. I haven't tasted the water, but I'm sure it tastes better than what comes out of the tap. Maybe some day I'll nudge him outta the way and try it.

I hope I don't sound silly next to those of you who have lots more experience, but I'm very happy with my Bio-Wheel. Right now I have 2 small tanks, (a 20g and a 10g) and the Bio-Wheel serves for aeration as well as filtration. This helps me by serving 2 purposes and saves space for my fishies. :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom