What's your opinion on adding an extra filter to accommodate overstocking bio-load?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm at the store buying a QT tank about to introduce some new fish into my newly cycled 10g that currently has 2 ADFs and 1 platy. I plan on starting with adding a gourami and another platy to the 10g after they've been quarantined. Using the aqadvisor aquarium calculator, I was warned about adding additional filtration with this stock. I also want to add a small school of neon tetras (4 or 5), and adding another filter into the equation allows for adequate filtration capacity for this 103% stock level (with the tetras). Do you think adding additional filtration is a good or bad idea to accommodate for the bio load in a slightly overstocked tank? And yes, I plan on making the necessary water changes. No, I can't upgrade tank size at the moment, I live in a small apartment :/. Furthermore, do small filters use lots of power? My boyfriend is concerned about adding to the electricity bill, and overloading the outlet. we just added a surge protector after losing power from 3 outlets and blaming it on the aquarium. Your advice is appreciated. :)

So I always prefer two filters. I also will only have a planted tank (at least floating plants) to help clean the water. With ADF plants could help a lot because they are messy.

I am not 100% comfortable with your next stage if you want to chat on it.

As for electricity... what in the tank is using much electricity? I doubt you are using 40 watts continuous on a 10... unless incandescent lights.

I have way more than I need according to just about everyone I've asked. I don't know if it helps or is a waste. But I feel better about trying to keep things perfect for them.

So I always prefer two filters. I also will only have a planted tank (at least floating plants) to help clean the water. With ADF plants could help a lot because they are messy.

I am not 100% comfortable with your next stage if you want to chat on it.

As for electricity... what in the tank is using much electricity? I doubt you are using 40 watts continuous on a 10... unless incandescent lights.

I have 2 anubius nanas and a Marimo moss ball for live plants, seems to have sped the cycling once the anubius nanas were added . You mean uncomfortable about adding the tetras?

Filters use single digits of wats. If anything is using a lot of energy, it's your heater. If any of those things are causing issues with your outlets, maybe find an electrician? Unless your wiring is getting wet, the stuff in your tank uses similar amounts of electricity as incandescent lamps.

Extra filtration is always good. Do you already have the gourami? They don't like 10 gallon tanks. They can get very aggressive.

I have 2 anubius nanas and a Marimo moss ball for live plants, seems to have sped the cycling once the anubius nanas were added . You mean uncomfortable about adding the tetras?
Yep. They are not what I would put with ADF. Fragile and fast eaters tend to bother or even starve ADF. And the mess from ADF could cause issues for neons... which have have often referred to as canaries of the aquarium world. Plus they like more swimming room and I would do at least 6. But yeah... why not add more ADF?

Yep. They are not what I would put with ADF. Fragile and fast eaters tend to bother or even starve ADF. And the mess from ADF could cause issues for neons... which have have often referred to as canaries of the aquarium world. Plus they like more swimming room and I would do at least 6. But yeah... why not add more ADF?

Hmm you're right. Don't want to starve my frogs, they take some time finding food. But I have little houses and decor that I could stash their bloodworms in so the tetras can't find it, what do you think? I just think some colorful little schooling fish would look nice in my setup, lots of decor that would be cool to watch them explore. But if you don't think it's a good idea, I may take your advice. I love my frogs. Don't want to add more though, looking for something more colorful to add some pizzazz.

In a 10 gallon tank with 2 adf your stocking options are gonna be slim, most nano species are two small to coexist with the frogs (expensive frog food?) and many others (such as gourami ) require more swimming room.

Doing some internet research, I find more articles stating that dwarf gouramis do OK in minimum 10g. I even added a floating log and floating plant to make him feel comfortable. The petsmart description (which I know aren't the most 100% reliable source of facts) even recommend 10g minimum for the dwarf gourami. Also, my platy right now is still pretty small, I'd say about the size of a neon tetra. We got him a few months ago after petsmart gave him to us for free because he was a barely visible fry that survived the other fish eating him. Anyway, the ADFs will occasionally make a strike at him when he is right by, and he is too large for them now. Basically they just bounce back and the platy remains unharmed. I'd say it's the equivalent of being tapped on... harmless and not even bothersome to the platy. He survived being tiny enough for them to make him lunch, but too quick for them. Now being the size of a tetra, he's fine. I don't think I need to worry about the frogs eating fish. I found more additional articles listing neon tetras as good tankmates, describing ADFs as docile creatures, which I'd have to agree. So, my biggest worry here is just them getting enough food. I've had ADFs for years and never had them cause harm to other tankmates. I'll do more research, but so far I am not finding any significant problems putting them together. I do like the idea of cherry shrimp though, never had shrimp before and they are supposedly a good source of waste management..?

IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1125.jpg
Here's a side by side comparison. Adult neons are about 1-1.5 inches, which I'd say is about his size right now. And he's been doing well living with these guys. We had the frogs first and then added him, he was seriously barely visible at first. Anyway still debating on getting the tetras though. :) just wanted to show these pics and I'd say my frogs are pretty docile, their strikes (which are rare and only happen at feedings) at platy are soft, slow, and harmless.

Back
Top Bottom