What's your opinion on cobalt fish food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have new life spectrum pellets and algae wafers I also have a bottle of omega one flakes but i was running low. So when i bought my python i needed to spend another 10 dollars to get free shipping. So i threw in an 8oz bottle of colbolt fish food. Does anyone else use it? Is it as good as omega one? http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/...1202_19485_edit_1417567832102_zpso7gzxwbd.jpg

Sent from my galaxy s5

I use cobalt as my flake food when I don't do frozen. It seems like a very quality flake and every bit as good as Omega 1. I think a couple of other users on the forum use it as well so hopefully they have some input as well. It seems to contain good ingredients after reading the label, high content of whole animal proteins and whole fish used instead of meal.

I've heard few good things about it. It wasn't until I got it in the mail did I realize how big 8oz was. So I'll be using this food for atleast a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought it when our giant, nationally famous, LFS told me it was the best.

But others recommended New Life Spectrum and after some research I decided it was probably better quality. I got some of their Thera A. The tank is a lot cleaner with NLS, I didn't feel bad about throwing away the Cobalt. Better food means less poop.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have new life spectrum pellets and algae wafers but I wanted flakes for my black neons. It seems the pellets are a little to big for them. I have a python no spill now so water changes are really easy. So even if colbolt makes my water dirtier I'll just combat it with more frequent water exchanges.

Here's the ingredient list

Salmon Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Corn Starch, Freeze Dried Plankton, Freeze Dried Krill, Dried Kelp, Dried Brine Shrimp, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Dried Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Hydrochloride, Biotin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Beta-Glucan, Spray Dried Egg, Garlic Powder, Earthworm Powder, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, D1 Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, D-Biotin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Methionine and Natural Coloring.

Salmon is good, but wheat, soy, yeast and corn starch are not. And neither are freeze dried ingredients.

I would not use this.

Here's omega ones ingredient list

Ingredients:
Whole Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Whole Herring , Whole Shrimp, Whole Krill, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

The two aren't even in the same league.

Ugh, I bought online but I should of paid closer attention to the ingredients. That makes me mad because all the brands were around the Same price i just thought colbolt was a good brand.

The best way to avoid buying a bad flake is to just feed frozen. I feed frozen with Vita chem most of the time and supplement with hikari micro pellets and occasionally the flakes. Seems to work well but would not recommend cobalt as your staple diet form your fish.

New life spectrum makes Thera A in 0.5mm pellets. I feed those to my tank that has fish ranging from 1" up to 2.5". Everyone does well with it, and the shrimp and Pygmy loaches are aggressive about getting it out of the cracks where it falls. I think it's the garlic - they get more enthusiastic about the pellets than about frozen food.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yea, i have .5 NLS cichlid pellets, which work for my most of my fish except the black neons. Sadly im a teen with no money so frozen might get a little too pricy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feed cobalt flake once or twice a week.. when im to lazy to head to the freezer anyways.. omega one flake as well..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom