When buying a New Fish?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aniistarr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking to get a Panda Cory and i went to Petland last week and they were out of stock at that time, when asking them when they will get them, they said Tuesday which means today, so the panda Cory will be very new to the store, will it be ok to get it tomorrow? or should i wait until Friday? i mean since the store just got them and then i go and buy it, will they get stressed out? and die? :blink:

It's up to you, I don't think that it will get stressed and die. If the store is universal filtration, it's probably better to get the fish when it hasn't been in their water for too long. If the store has individual filtration in every tank, then I usually like to wait for a bit to see how the fish fair before buying them. JMO.

It's up to you, I don't think that it will get stressed and die. If the store is universal filtration, it's probably better to get the fish when it hasn't been in their water for too long. If the store has individual filtration in every tank, then I usually like to wait for a bit to see how the fish fair before buying them. JMO.

What you mean by universal filtration and individual filtration? :blink: you mean if every fish tank has his own filter?

Yep, universal filtration means all the tanks are connected through the same water supply and filter system. Most PetCos have universal filtration.

Yep, universal filtration means all the tanks are connected through the same water supply and filter system. Most PetCos have universal filtration.

oh, i see... i am not sure about Petland, i guess i will have to stop by and see how are the fish. Usually if they are new they are shy and don't move around that much right? sorry if its a silly question :oops:

oh, i see... i am not sure about Petland, i guess i will have to stop by and see how are the fish. Usually if they are new they are shy and don't move around that much right? sorry if its a silly question :oops:

Well, often new fish will hide a bit, but they shouldn't have clamped fins or anything like that. They shouldn't be sitting on the bottom either (unless they are bottom dwellers obviously).

Try to pick active ones. Panda cories need groups of six or more so if you don't already have some be sure to get some. Also panda cories can be very sensitive, so I'd pick the ones that had been there longer.

I agree with groups, but depending on the size of the tank involved here, you can also go with a minimum of 3 and have a happy little group.

I am not sure where you are from, the pet land that I go to does not have central filtration, they have them independently filtered with at most only 2-4 tanks ran off of the same filter. As I said not sure where you are but the one I go to is in Roanoke Virginia

Back
Top Bottom