When can I release Baby Neon Tetra into community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquena

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a baby black neon tetra and right now he is about 1/2" long. I have him in a breeder box in tank. How big should he grow before I release him into the community?

Pleco is 10", but my platy's are the ones I'm worried about. Please see my profile info for tank and fish info. Thanks for your help!!

That is a bit of a tough call. How big are your other neons? Do the other neons get picked on very much? If it were me I think I would add the little guy, let him school with the other neons.

I do want to add him, as soon as he can't fit so easily into a platy mouth! He is really tiny, maybe 1/2" was pushing it...he may be smaller, I still crush up first bites for him to eat.

I recently when through a similar decision with some baby kribensis of mine. No need to rush things, if you think he is too small let him keep on growing in his safe environment. A half inch is fairly small and a platy could most likely eat it.

Back
Top Bottom