When can i sell fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have about 39 or 43 red way fry in a 10G. I'm just wonder when can I sell them? It's my birthday today so I'm getting more tanks!! Right now they are a week old and 3 days. All are healthy. Thinking to a fish store or something but i dont know. Thanks in advance!

You need to ask the lfs when they would take them. Chain stores will not take them, you need to have a mom & pop lfs.

They wouldn't take my krib fry until 4-5 months of age.

LyndaB said:
You need to ask the lfs when they would take them. Chain stores will not take them, you need to have a mom & pop lfs.

They wouldn't take my krib fry until 4-5 months of age.

Chain stores like petco and petsmart?

This is why, when you decide to keep species that are prolific spawners, you really have to already have a plan for how to get rid of all the fry.

What's LPS?

Totally agree. Look to local aquarium clubs or craigslist as well.

LPS= Local Pet Store.

If they aren't a chain and the fish you have to offer are desirable and profitable, they may take them. The problem with live bearers is that they are so prolific that they are cheap. Most of the common strains wholesale for < $.50 ea at sub-adult to adult size. Good luck.

The guy at the lfs gave me fish bags to use. His store is only 10 minutes from my house so I didn't worry about the fish.

My local pet store will purchase my betta fry when they have reached adult size (in guessing between 3-4 months) for 1/3 of their selling price. That made me very happy :)

When I have taken fish back in the last due to aggression issues or once I had a fish outgrow a tank and didn't have anywhere to put it, they have either taken them for free or given me a small credit. Depending on the type of fish and the mood of the owner.

LyndaB said:
The guy at the lfs gave me fish bags to use. His store is only 10 minutes from my house so I didn't worry about the fish.

For how much?

For how much?

For free, I'm a good customer there. I scratch his back, he scratches mine. :cool:

You really just need to go to your own lfs, tell him what you've got, see if there's interest, and then take it from there.

Your situation is not going to be the same as any one of ours because we're all dealing with different stores.

I ended up unloading about 30 platy fry to my lfs for free simply be because I had go get rid of them. The reality is that platies are common, proliferative, easy to breed, and in moderate demand. If you got a quarter a pop for them at several months age, it would be a good deal.

My backup plan was to put them on CL as feeders.

Yeah my local pet store will take just about anything in for free... I'm lucky when I negotiate a sale or store credit.

Back
Top Bottom