When did you first know you were getting really into fishkeeping... Maybe too into it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lev

Aquarium Advice Activist
For me it was last night... I had an actual nightmare about something bad happening to my tank.

[emoji28]

When I first hooked up the CO2, I had a nightmare that I woke up to a tank full of dead fish laying on the bottom.

When did I know?

I think it was when we set up our second tank. We moved our first brood of guppy fry into it. It was meant to be temporary, and it didn't have a filter yet. I was doing 50% water changes daily. A friend was going to take the fry for her koi pond but had decided that it was too cold in Michigan, and she gave them back after they spent a week in a birdbath. 19 guppy fry spent a week in a birdbath. We had all these tiny fish that I had no idea what to do with except that we had to make sure that they hadn't gotten sick in their nightmare birdbath stay. Full on panic attack.

That's when I realized that this was no longer just so my kid could enjoy her cute pet, and that I was completely into it.

When I stealth set up a ten gallon in our living room as a teenager while my mom slept :/

I still have nightmares, usually I go to a place where I remember I was supposed to be taking care of the tanks and somehow forgot. Or I go into a new place/suddenly own? a petstore and the fish are kept all wrong, goldfish with pike, and they're all kinda giving that vibe of help me but stuff prevents me from starting to fix the setups :(

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I first hooked up the CO2, I had a nightmare that I woke up to a tank full of dead fish laying on the bottom.

When did I know?

I think it was when we set up our second tank. We moved our first brood of guppy fry into it. It was meant to be temporary, and it didn't have a filter yet. I was doing 50% water changes daily. A friend was going to take the fry for her koi pond but had decided that it was too cold in Michigan, and she gave them back after they spent a week in a birdbath. 19 guppy fry spent a week in a birdbath. We had all these tiny fish that I had no idea what to do with except that we had to make sure that they hadn't gotten sick in their nightmare birdbath stay. Full on panic attack.

That's when I realized that this was no longer just so my kid could enjoy her cute pet, and that I was completely into it.
This was meant to be a gift for the other half... Now it's a joint baby... Ok mostly mine. [emoji4]

When I stealth set up a ten gallon in our living room as a teenager while my mom slept :/

I still have nightmares, usually I go to a place where I remember I was supposed to be taking care of the tanks and somehow forgot. Or I go into a new place/suddenly own? a petstore and the fish are kept all wrong, goldfish with pike, and they're all kinda giving that vibe of help me but stuff prevents me from starting to fix the setups :(

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I dreamed that the big tank got knocked over and smashed. The dream didn't explain how this happened. [emoji23]

My nightmare was dreaming of getting a phone call from my apartment manager telling me that water was flooding out my front door... :8O:

As for knowing I was hooked, the first moment was probably some time in high school, long ago. Most recently, though, I was reminded by watching a video review of a new filter and thinking "Oooh, shiny!" :brows:

If dreaming about your tanks means you may be too involved, then I've been in trouble for years.

When you have dreams of fish that have died in the past swimming around in mid air, haunting you..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom