When does algae tend to pop up in new tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Had my tank cycled for a mon th, added fish about a month ago. Added 8 denison barbs total and that is all for now. Led lighting. No co2 or plants

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Had my tank cycled for a mon th, added fish about a month ago. Added 8 denison barbs total and that is all for now. Led lighting. No co2 or plants

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It may never show up. Depends mostly in the amount and duration of the lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Easiest method to prevent algae is a split photo period. But a $5 timer from Wal-Mart and set your light to come on for 3-4 hours, then turn off for at least 2, then come on later.

So a couple hours when you're home in the morning, then when you're home in the evening. The timer takes the human forgetfulness element out of the equation.

The reason it works is that algae doesn't start growing until the lights have been on for a while, unlike plants who start photosynthesis as soon as the lights cut on.. by breaking the blocks of light up you prevent algae growth and by turning the lights off you hamper growth further by denying light. The plants have other processes that they utilize during the night.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom