When is it time to clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29 gal long tank with 8 tetras and a betta, with a cleanup crew of two Cory's and two ghost shrimp. The tank still looks pretty clean, but idk when I need to clean it. Any advice?

For my lighter load tanks I clean every two weeks, for my heavy load tanks I clean every week. I also test the water weekly which would give me an indication if my tanks need cleaning more often.

With your light load, you might be able to get away with every two weeks. Check your water, see what it tells you, go from there.

Without knowing how long the tank has been running or how much/often you feed, it's hard to give you an idea. But I wouldn't go longer than two weeks between cleanings.

You should do weekly water changes of 25% to 50% and gravel vac every other time. Also, rinse all filter media, every other week in a bucket of the tank water you are removing.

If it were my tank, I would gravel vac the bottom for loose food or waste every week when I do a water change...I actually do a 40% water change every fourth day but your load does not seem like much.

I also scrub the front glass to keep it clean of algae every water change.

I vacuum out the amount of water I want to change, usually about 50%. That gets it pretty clean. Just be careful around your fish. Most fish will get out of your way. But like my Betta is so curious, I always have to watch out for him because he's always right there.

Hholly said:
I vacuum out the amount of water I want to change, usually about 50%. That gets it pretty clean. Just be careful around your fish. Most fish will get out of your way. But like my Betta is so curious, I always have to watch out for him because he's always right there.

My fry and Juvie's are so curious about the vacuum hose try chase waste up the tube... And my adults in the other tank nibble my fingers and wrist while I'm doing it.., it's not uncommon to hear me saying, "Would you PLEASE get out of the way?? You're right where I need to be!"

Back
Top Bottom