When is the best time to light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I live in CA I generally run my light from 6pm-1am. I was curious though if it's better and more natural to have the light on when the sun would be shining, Say 10am-5pm. I noticed that fish don't really sleep, although the loaches will take naps. Anyways let me know what you think.

I run my lights from 8AM-11PM. Fish seem very healthy except for my recent loss of several fish discussed in another thread.

Fish need some night time as do plants. I guess it would depend on how much extra light they get during the off light time. I run my lights from 11am-11pm as I live in a basement apartment and that is really the only light my plants will get.

The wall that my tank is on, faces a small window which is usually shaded. Problem is here, that if you have lights on during the day there is a good chance of a brown out, or black out. Also electricity is cheaper during the off peak hrs.

You will probably be fine leaving you lights on in the evening if that is the case. I see you have swords which tend to be forgiving plants so I would do what makes you comfortable.

Leave your lights on for 10-12 hours, The time of day is up to you I have mine on timers and have them come on when I am home so I can enjoy my tanks. Fish and plants do need a day/night cycle.

John

Back
Top Bottom