when to add water conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a question for everyone. when do you add the water conditioner to the water when you are doing a PWC. When I first started out and didn't know anything at all the LFS told me to add water conditioner to the water. I was to add it to the water BEFORE I put it in the tank. not to just add it into the tank.

Now I am hearing people talk about hooking up a hose to their faucet and filling their tank this way. Obviously the water conditioner is not in the water from the hose.

So what is the rule on adding water and water conditioner. How much and in what order etc :confused:

thanks for your help! I know this is a newbie question, but now I am not sure I know what I am doing ... :banghead:

I use prime and I dose it straight to my tank before I fill it up. I have a python that runs from my faucet to my tank. Dosing depends on the conditioner your using.

Simple. Add it to the tank after your done taking what you need to take out. Like do your 50% out. Before adding water in just dose the correct amount directly to the tank and then fill the tank.

I like Prime and just follow the directions as far as dosing.

Make sense?

If your doing the old bucket method, add conditioner into the bucket equal to the volume of the bucket. I use a 5gal water jug so I dose enough Seachem Prime to treat that 5gal of water. This way is a bit tedious as you have to dose for each bucket... but it works for me. This way I only add the Prime I need and not add too much.

If your using a Python, then you generally dose conditioner directly into the tank for the ENTIRE volume of the tank ... not just the volume of water your changing. Some Python brands .. I've read have a chamber connected to the hose where you can add conditioner directly. It's recommended you turn off the filter while doing the PWC and turn it on 15 - 30 minutes after your PWC is complete ... to ensure the conditioner deals with the chlorine / chloramines and or ammonia that may be in your tap.

I'm somewhat new to this as well (I've had my fish for 2 months now), but I think both ways would be correct IF you put in the correct dose.

1. If you add conditioner to your water in a bucket before putting it into the tank, dose it according to the size of that bucket.

2. If you add it directly to the tank, dose it according to the size of your tank (20 gallon, 29 gallons, or whatever).

I guess number 2 above would use up more conditioner, but conditioner isn't that expensive (at least Prime isn't...because it's very concentrated) anyway.

So if I get this right I can either add it to the tank or the bucket. Doesn't really matter. So am I correct in thinking that I can add enough conditioner to treat 5 gsllons to my bucket that holds 3 gallons and then add 2 more untreated after that

Simple. Add it to the tank after your done taking what you need to take out. Like do your 50% out. Before adding water in just dose the correct amount directly to the tank and then fill the tank.

I like Prime and just follow the directions as far as dosing.

Make sense?

Just add it right to the tank before refilling it. IMO it's just easier.

Why BEFORE you refill?

I have been adding Prime AS the tank is refilling...

Why BEFORE you refill?

I have been adding Prime AS the tank is refilling...

I was thinking the same thing. Andrewz00. I add it using the python method. I figure adding it to the full stream of water dispenses it quicker. ;)

I've always added it to the tank prior to refilling it. It's pretty much the same thing if you add just before refill or while you have flow really I you think about it. Prior theres no flow for a second or 2 the other method there's already flow.

I add it to the bucket before I put it in the tank. My tanks are pretty small though, (2) 10, 20 and 27 gallons. I can see that not working for bigger tanks!

Back
Top Bottom