when to do the pwc's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm working on getting my 3rd tank started. It's a 20 gal and it's been 3 days. My ammonia is now at .25 ppm. I started doing a fishless cycle, but had to put my mollies in it. I can't remember when I'm supposed to do the first pwc. I search through some posts and saw people saying when it gets to .5 ppm, do a pwc, but I just wanted to make sure this was right. Should I do one today, or wait until tomorrow? I just want to do everything right with this tank.

(My first tank, I totally screwed up on, but got everything under control after several massive pwc's. The 55 gal, which I had no ammonia prob at all, cycled in a week because I had transfered everything to it from the first tank.)

Thanks Jchillin... that's what I was thinking about. I didn't want to stall it. Should I do the same thing with the nitrites when they start showing up?

If you have a tank already cycled (it sounds like you have 2) why dont you borrow some bio-media from one of the cycled tanks to jumpstart the cycle?

I actually did transfer a plastic plant and a fake rock decoration to the 20 gal in hopes that that would help out. I need to get a new filter for the tank, so I borrowed the filter from the 10 gal, too. I just don't want the levels to get out of whack and have another mess like I had with my 10 gal. :( That was really bad.

Back
Top Bottom