When to move my Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As most of you probably know by now, I have a Sailfin Pleco who will be outgrowing his current home (a 46 gallon bow). As of right now he's approx 7" give or take a little. He still looks pretty comfy (except for when he crams himself into his cave), but I know at some point he won't be anymore. How can I tell when it's time to move him to my 75 gallon?

The earlier the better. He won't really be able to tell you and it's best to give him a new home as to not stunt internal and external growth. The better the environment, the better his chances are for living a long healthy life.

Agreed, the sooner the better. I can tell you from experience of when we moved how hard it is to handle a 14" pleco! You'll be able to handle him better and give him more room sooner.

Thanks for the info....... now for the catch! The 75 gallon tank is currently cycled, but is empty. because I'm moving on 5/19. Once I move in and get everything setup, I was going to let it sit for a few days just to make sure everything is still ok. Then I'll buy my first fish. How long should I wait before brining home the pleco? I want to make sure the tank is settled and stable enough for him. I'm getting really nervous now about moving him. I really don't want to lose him because I'm quite attached to him.

Also, as a side question. Since he's got the potential of getting to be 18", what would be a good hiding spot for a fish of this size? I was thinking of getting a nice long piece of PVC pipe, but I'm afraid that he'll get stuck in it. Any sugggestions?

A couple of large pieces of driftwood that he can go under or behind. Or if they are branchy, have them intermingled to form kind of a cave.

Also, what are you doing to keep it cycled while no fish? Are you adding ammonia daily or have raw shrimp in it to keep the filter cycled? If it's cycled, then I'd go maybe a day, then test, and if it tests fine, then bring the pleco home.

Back
Top Bottom