where am I getting algae????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm getting algae in my tank. It has a brownish color to it. I'm running a 12k light (i know a little high, I'm waiting on my 6700k bulbs) 12 hours a day and its 6 inches from the water. The tank is a 29g tank and a have diy co2. WHERE IS IT COMING FROM?????

How long has this tank been established?

Newer tanks will get a buildup of diatoms which will go away on their own after a few months. You can scrub it off for now.

It's been up for 3 weeks. Bought it used and used pre cycled media from my other tank. So I know its cycled. All parameters are good? Does it come from not having enough nutrients for the plants?

It's definitely diatoms then considering the fact that it is also brown. Totally normal in new tanks.

When using seeded filter mediA, you will still experience a small spike as your tank adjusts which can cause a mini cycle. During this period the water may contain high levels of organic carbons and No2 but low levels of No3 and Po4. Diatoms often thrive in this condition, which is the reason why you see these blooms in newly established tanks.

Once all the parameters have stabilized for a few months, it will disappear.

Back
Top Bottom