Where are these nitrites coming from? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewis.r

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys

I have had my fish tank for 6 1/2 weeks now well into the cycle process. I have a 5.5 gal tank with 3 white cloud minnows and I use a internal filter (super fish Aqua flow 100) and my tank is unheated.
I havnt replaced the filter since I got it nor the media inside ( and I have stuffed the inside of the filter with bio rings).

My problem is that I keep getting between 0.5 - 1ppm of nitrites and these never seem to be going down.
Ammonia never seems to now go over 0 or it might be somewhere between 0 - 0.25.
How much longer should it be before the nitrites start to drop and my tank becomes fully cycled as the water changes every day are getting annoying. I am doing between 40-50% daily.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442858400.845220.jpg

24L/5.5 gallon tank with heater and superfish Aqua internal 100 filter
**Beginner**

For me this has always been the longest part of the cycle.

I prefer fishless cycling because as you can see, fish in is quite a bit of work.

Your tank has been cycling 6 weeks? You should be close to finished soon.

Caleb

For me this has always been the longest part of the cycle.

I prefer fishless cycling because as you can see, fish in is quite a bit of work.

Your tank has been cycling 6 weeks? You should be close to finished soon.

Caleb

I was a beginner when I got these fish and the guy from the shop said it will be fine to add some fish after a week.

That's when I then started to read hours worth of stuff around cycling!
Going back I would have done it fishless.
It was only 2 weeks ago really that the nitrites started to rise so just didn't know how long to expect it to carry on like this.
On the plus side the fish seem fine and they are eating and swimming round fine!

**Beginner**

I was a beginner when I got these fish and the guy from the shop said it will be fine to add some fish after a week.

That's when I then started to read hours worth of stuff around cycling!
Going back I would have done it fishless.
It was only 2 weeks ago really that the nitrites started to rise so just didn't know how long to expect it to carry on like this.
On the plus side the fish seem fine and they are eating and swimming round fine!

**Beginner**

That's a good sign. Keep those nitrites under 0.50 ppm if possible. If it's really a struggle don't let them exceed 1.0ppm.

Your nitrites will drop off soon have patience :) you will be glad you cycled the tank so you are not hitting roadblocks down the road.

Caleb

Hi are you adding anything to help the cycle? you can add some seeding material which will help speed things along. Also if you know anyone else near to you with a fish tank some seeded media or even 'old' tank water will help.
Good luck and be patient. Do the water changes every other day.

Hi are you adding anything to help the cycle? you can add some seeding material which will help speed things along. Also if you know anyone else near to you with a fish tank some seeded media or even 'old' tank water will help.

Good luck and be patient. Do the water changes every other day.

I forgot to mention this thanks.

BUT tank water holds only minute traces of bacteria. So little it makes no impact. If it did, you would experience a mini cycle every water change.

Caleb

You're at the tricky stage. Ammonia to nitrite bacteria form first because they have an ammonia source - your fish. The nitrite to nitrate bacteria then develop by being fed with nitrite but these bacteria take longer to colonise. Also 1ppm of ammonia produces approx 3ppm of nitrite which makes the situation worse.
With fish in the tank you have little choice but to keep your nitrites below 0.5/1.0ppm (I know it's hard to distinguish these levels on the colour chart).
Unfortunately there is no definite timescale as all tanks vary due to filters, temp, ph, stocking levels etc. however, tanks cycle quicker when Ph is no lower than 6.5 and preferably at around 80f. As your tank is not heated it could take a little longer than expected.
In your situation if you really don't want to continue with all the water changes I would return the fish, or temp rehome them in a friends tank and continue the cycling process fishless using pure ammonia. The advantage of this is that the tank will be better prepared for a larger initial stocking level once cycled, not fully stocked, but I would stock to 25% and then add more stock gradually ensuring your filter is keeping up with the increased loading.
Good luck in your endeavours.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom