Where can i get a rimless long tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like a rimless long tank. I looked at mr aqua 12 gallon rimless long and was sold. Until i thought about the dimensions 8 inches of width does not give me enough room to do what i plan. I started to look at 20 gallon rimless long but didn't find much. Anyone have and idea on a place where i could get a >12 gallon rimless long tank? Thanks

You could also make your own. Just find a local glass place, have them cut the pieces and silicone the peices together. I made my own custom triangluar tank.

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I have looked at those places and considered diy tank. But after thinking about the costs and such. Im going to go with the mr aqua 12 gallon long, thanks for your help everyone

Local fish shop should have people that build tanks. I got mine made through my lfs. I rarely have bought "stock" sized tanks. I get mine made for a space or a footprint I want to work with.

I would not trust it because those rims and stuff are there for a reason.

What about de-rimming a 20 gallon long?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391956215.612279.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391956237.966727.jpg

I de-rimmed this twenty gallon six months ago and has been running since
Of course, I did not remove the bottom rim. Tank gives the illusion of a much bigger cleaner tank. That's as big as I would go as far as taking the rim off. I also have a twenty high that I de rimmed and has been running for two years.

If i were to do it i would defiantly keep the bottom rim on. Have you experienced and bowing on either tanks?

Also what do you think about a corner brace? Like a glass or acrylic piece that wraps around the corners and that siliconed on. Say an inch wide and extending 3 inches past the corners. Get what im putting down? Haha

I checked bowing before and after removing the rim and did not noticed any. A bigger tank would be a problem since there is more pressure pushing against the glass, larger tanks also have a center brace to keep from excessive bowing and breakage.

The center brace is right on the center like a 55 gallon, from one side to the other.

Be ready to do some work though should anyone decide to remove the trim. I had to use the heat gun to practically melt it as I'm pulling it off.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391972264.609207.jpg
Then the remaining silicone needs to be carefully scraped off without scratching the glass, I took it off with a blade.

O wow i didnt realize you had to do that. How long did it take you and was it hard work meticulous

Took me a good couple of hours to peel the plastic off. This particular tank had loads of silicone holding the rim and I don't think I would have been able to do it without the heat gun. I took advantage of the dollar a gallon sale and bought it with the idea of removing the rim, had I messed up, I would have lost just twenty bucks.

Back
Top Bottom