Where did my tank water go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put a jacket over my 2.5g minibow last night and woke up to find that 50% of the water was gone and the jacket was soaked, yet no part of it was in the water.

I'm baffled.

It has a hood. And none of the over tanks I covered had this happen. And really? How does 50% evaporate?!?

I assumed it had a hood, it has to be either a leak or evaporation tho.

Is it possible that a small part of the jacket reached the water and just sponged it up?

Hey QP.

You really ought to get a heater D: It was quite cold here last night in FL. Still is all day and tonight and tomorrow. You can get a little tetra brand heater that will fit in that size tank for 15 dollars at walmart. I've got one in my five gal.

As for the water disappearing: Some part of the jacket was likely to have found some sort of place to suck up water... other then that I see no reason to how that could of happened. Why would that much water evaporate over night? I wish you luck! It's been quite warm in our area all winter and suddenly this cold snap comes! I'm worried about my trees... can't go but a heater for that at a store lol.

Lol, I can't go to stores mom gets mad when I buy fish stuff.

I know! What, 38°??

It has a hood. And none of the over tanks I covered had this happen. And really? How does 50% evaporate?!?

I'm guessing here's what happened .. from an Earth Science perspective:D.

Your jacket is probably made of cotton or mostly. When water evaporates, the water vapor usually hangs over the water's surface actually helping to slow further evaporation by saturating the air over the surface, that's why a hood is so helpful in slowing down evaporation.

When you put the jacket over the tank ... even one with a hood ... the materials started to soak up the water vapor, which in turn allowed more water to evaporate and continue in this cycle until you found it this morning.

I asked 2 fellow Science Teachers to confer and they agree it is the likely scenario.

So does mine but my fishies needs are more important :D

And yes! The temp here is crazy...

jcolon said:

Your jacket is probably made of cotton or mostly. When water evaporates, the water vapor usually hangs over the water's surface actually helping to slow further evaporation by saturating the air over the surface, that's why a hood is so helpful in slowing down evaporation.

When you put the jacket over the tank ... even one with a hood ... the materials started to soak up the water vapor, which in turn allowed more water to evaporate and continue in this cycle until you found it this morning.

I asked 2 fellow Science Teachers to confer and they agree it is the likely scenario.

I put the jacket over it all the time. This time I did not leave part of the filter uncovered though. Could this be it?

Tonight I put the jacket over the glass but left anything uncovered without the jacket (filter top, hood space for filter) uncovered.

It's 60% cotton and 40% polyester* btw.

So, lets see what happens!

*=Edit

Maybe the water coming out of your filter splash a bit and the gets soaked up in the jacket. I had a power head that was pointed to to the surface a bit and opened the valve for it to suck air as well. One day I saw water on the floor and thought of the worst. I then saw a line of water on the wall and the back of the tank. I put a peice of plexiglas glass over that part and it hasn't happened again.

Nope, aliens.

Tonight I put the jacket over the glass but left anything uncovered without the jacket (filter top, hood space for filter) uncovered.

It's 60% cotton and 40% polyester* btw.

So, lets see what happens!

*=Edit

Curious to read about the results!

Sorry for the late reply.

Jacket was bone dry and water was inside tank! Win!

Back
Top Bottom