Where do i get snails lots of them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon planeted tank to breed snails to feed my Green Spotted Puffer. I used to buy plants at petsmart or petco to feed my apple and rainbow snails and used to get alot of small snails now i found out they treat there plants to kill the snail and snail eggs.

I need to get those small snails to help keep my puffers teeth trimmed is there anywhere online where i can buy small snails by the gross?

any suggestions?

I'd try to check some other pet stores then. I didn't know that pet stores would treat their plants. I guess it's a good thing for most people. I'm sure you could find some at another pet store. If not, I'm sure there are some members here in your area that have a few to spare

I only checked out one and they said the buy there plants same place petco does i was hoping to find them online somewhere so im not taking my chances with buying loads of plants

Common pond snails will work, but there is a lot of info on that in the articles on snail breeding in those FAQs.

I have 2 ramhorn snails and they have laid eggs before but never turned out into anything. I just have alot of eggs laid about 1.5 weeks ago and they seem to be getting bigger so hoppfully i'll get lucky and get a good batch in another 1.5 weeks. thanks for all the info on your site i have read over it all.

Have to trim my sa puffers teeth soon and was glad to see the faq with photos

Yes, I just updated the Puffer Dentistry article. It should be coming out in TFH mag soon!

I hunted for snails for my little tanks and couldn't find them until I went to a little mom and pop store and they were giving them away to anyone who wanted them. Try lfs's that aren't big chains. I'm not sure what type of snails you are looking for, but you could try (biting my tongue) Wal-Mart. Ours has TONS of snails in stock in those little clear cups that they sell Betta's from. Also, try special ordering.

I think there is a snail shortage in the midwest chicagoland area i cannot find them anywhere petsmart and lfs they just dont have any extras i have gone to many of them. Alot of the lfs says 2 many complants so they treat for them. Walmart dosnt have any.

ANyone from the chicagoland are know where i can get loads of snails.

Im going to try ebay next.

Thanks for all the great info.

Why don't you just go to your lfs and ask for some snails from their planted tank? As far as I know they'll give them to you for free (referring to pond snails and mts if you want, but puffers don't eat mts). Then you can keep them in a seperate small tank (like a little betta tank) so they can breed and then feed them to your puffer?

Back
Top Bottom