where should the betta go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since it is so terrible of me to keep my betta in a bowl, would it be better if i put him in my 29 gal with some platies and some tetras? If i did this, would i have to keep him in that floating box thing for bettas/livebearers?

thankyou.

A 2 gal bowl is fine for a single betta, if you can find a heater small enough to fit in it.

Of course, the betta would be thrilled to live in a 29 gal. The only problems I see are that some tetras are fin nippers - you'd have to monitor the situation closely. Also, the betta would most certainly eat any platy fry he could find - not a problem unless you want platy fry.

BTW, your 29 gal could easily accommodate a few more corys. They are so much more fun in groups of three or more. I hardly ever see my lone C melanistius, but my three albino C anaeus are always front and center looking for food.

I have this small heater (from Meredith's link) in a small critter keeper, with some live plants. The plants are in here until the tank is ready.

This critter keeper is not quite a gallon. The heater is fairly stable, but it does run hot -- about 85 degrees. You'd have to try it in a 2 gallon bowl, and check the temperature before putting the betta in. I tried to use the suction cups to stick the heater to the bottom of the critter keeper, but it wouldn't stick. Maybe because it's acrylic? Also, do listen to the directions and don't put the bowl under or even near a light -- when I did this, the water temp went up to over 90 degrees.

I agree with QTOFFER about the 29 gallon tank -- the betta would like it in there, but I have seen some tetras gang up on and nip a betta, so watch closely and move the betta if necessary.

ok thanx everyone. i am not going to spend $9.99 on a heater for a bowl so yea i guess i will put him in my 29. But if my tetras will go near the betta, should i put the betta in the floating box?

Since your putting him in your 29gal. and bettas are kind of loner fish, it would be a good idea to get some floating plants for him to hide in. A betta in such a large tank will tend to spend most of its time close to the surface becasue its an air breather and used to smaller cramped quaters. The floating plants will at least give him some cover and help make him feel secure. This will also help keep the other fish from bothering him as much as he won't stand out if he is hiding.

I dunno..I've kept numerous bettas in my 125 gal community tank.. usually about 6 females and a (non aggressive) male..
The females are more outgoing. But did NOT linger near the surface.. They can actually go quite a while..a few minutes..w/out surfacing. Leisurely I might ad. They did have plants and rocks/driftwood..but didnt' spend much time hiding at ALL. The male generally would linger in plants more of the time.. But the females seemed to always be hanging around the bottom looking for food ..and only going up for quick breaths then diving back down..
DEFinitely watch it if anyone's a fin nipper..I had some Tetras in with mine..and the did not work.. Moved the tetras to another tank. Some bettas do awesone in big tanks..they are beautifull in them,too. A few don't, too shy..just depends on the betta.

Watch out witht he tetras, cause they are fast moving fin nippers (some species) and basically avoid, agressive, fin-nipping, non-fast moving, non-colorful fish ( that might look like a male bette, for example, a male guppy) and hopefully there should be no problem.

No, the floating box idea will really stress out the fish (presuming the box is transparent).

Okies so now i will go and dump the betta in the box into the tank... I really hope my tetras don't go after him :| So what do i do if they do start attacking the betta?

Back
Top Bottom