where to buy Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is fluva 404 any good since I'll be upgrading to a higher g later might aswell get a filter that holds both

Fluval 404 and the Rena XP3 are good filters, and have extra media baskets which can help in cycling a new tank faster if you get another new tank.

are both these filters silent? and how about if they get clogged do they have an anti over heating system?

The XP1 has a flow rate of 250 gph. The XP2 has a flow rate of 300 gph. The XP1 is adequate unless heavily stocking with messy fish.

Fluvals are harder to setup, more difficult to open until you get the hang of it, and do not have a carrying handle. I'm not sure on the Renas since I've never used one. But I have heard good things about both.

wow been looking alot into the fluval 404 and rena xp3 they both look pretty good now what to pick is killing me. rena seems has more hum than fluva but fluva is more complex to seal and tubing setting it up while xp3 is more breakable if I may use that term.

Rena more breakable? I haven't heard that. The Renas are a bit easier to set-up, and easier to maintain than the fluval, but when in operation, both are excellent filters.

I ment the hardware that goes into the water etc. thats what I've been reading not breakable but more loose and soft than the fluval.

I clean the media in my cannister monthly. I do not replace unless the pads fall apart. I have used the same pads for several years.

I never clean the ceramic rings in our canisters. The filter floss I change monthly and the pad I never change or clean unless Nitrates get high. Even then, I only do one cleaning at a time. Another great filter is the Cascade line. They are simple to setup (took me about 10 minutes), very easy to open (pull up on two pieces and pull out on two pieces), and has large baskets. The hoses/input/output tubes are black so they don't look so industrialized and are easily hidden.

Im a fluval aquarist.. but its because I know they will last at least a decade from experaince on average.. same is so for the eheim but of course you have noticed the reason Im not that intrested in those.. :p

these newer filters are eaiser to work with.. and the XP series if Im not mistaking have a higher flow rate yet dont quite have the filtering capasity/flow rate if I remember right compared to the fluval.. so If you had a really big tank with africans the XP's would be a better buy IMO.. I think it depends on the bio load..
speculation on my part
if it's going to be moderately planted or a normal stocking situration Id go for fluval..
high bioload XP.. (more flowrate for your buck)
is that helpfull :?:

I just hooked up my XP3 today, and am very happy. It was so easy, and the instructions easy to follow. They give you 2 hoses as well, and I only had to use 1, as the height of my tank stand isn't real high. I have about 25 inches from the top of the filter to the water level in the tank, which is nice. I just cut the correct size for the intake hose, and it was less than half the total length of the hose. When I did the output hose, I had to cut about 8 inches off the remaining half of the hose, and hooked it up. So I still have the 2nd hose if I ever need to replace anything. It was very easy to prime too, lift up on the primer on top of the filter, remove the cap on top of the intake, place the funnel in and fill the tube. Put the cap back on and push the prime handle back down and it automatically fills the filter. Then plugged it in after it was full and it's so silent. With my head under the tank, there's a slight hum, but when I close the door, nothing. All I hear is the water flow from the Emperor 400. It's so nice and easy to set up. So my opinion is go with the XP series, you won't regret it.

With the XP3, I use 2 coarse sponges, 2 finer sponges, in the lower basket. The middle basket I have cylinders and lava granules. In the upper basket is my stars media in the lower half of the basket, and in the upper half I'm using 2 of the fine particle filters, kind of like floss, instead of just 1 floss with the packet to remove nitrates that's supplied.

For the output, you also have a choice. You can either use the power jet or the spraybar, with all the tubing. I didn't need to use all the tubing either. I went with the spraybar for my tank.

So there it is. The XP1 only has 1 basket, the XP2 has 2, and the XP3 has 3 for the ultimate amount of filteration media. I think I'm really going to like it. :)

Back
Top Bottom