where to find......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chocolate54

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like to be able to journal my aquarium up keep and fish birth, deaths and additions. Any sugestion of a journal template.

There's an app for it I think. Search fish care or aquarium care on the AppStore. Of course, if you don't have a Apple product, just a mini calendar attached to a mini notepad works perfectly too.
Edit- it's called aquaplanner

There's an app for it I think. Search fish care or aquarium care on the AppStore. Of course, if you don't have a Apple product, just a mini calendar attached to a mini notepad works perfectly too.

Hmmm I like the idea of a journal and had been searching awhile back.......what about for windows pc?

I use MS Excel for recording test results, changes in stock, plants, hardware, feeding schedules, photo periods, etc. Sure, it is not the best for handling text like a journal but it does a decent job of presenting the data in a grid format. You can use formulas, generate graphs and charts, and embed pictures. Of course there are mobile apps for what I have just described but in the scope of PC applications, I use Excel and I keep mine pretty simple. I don't have a template for you but at minimum, the columns could be:
Date
Time
Temperature
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Notes

You could create additional columns as needed (KH, DH, Phosphates, etc). The Notes column is a catch-all for any non-numeric results, observations, changes in routines.

Attachments

• exel snapshot.jpg
    exel snapshot.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 52
I am .net developer so I've developed my own app for tests temps stocking dates of cleanings etc. I've thought about sharing it a few times. Does reports and graphs for me to see changes and track progress.

I use MS Excel for recording test results, changes in stock, plants, hardware, feeding schedules, photo periods, etc. Sure, it is not the best for handling text like a journal but it does a decent job of presenting the data in a grid format. You can use formulas, generate graphs and charts, and embed pictures. Of course there are mobile apps for what I have just described but in the scope of PC applications, I use Excel and I keep mine pretty simple. I don't have a template for you but at minimum, the columns could be:
Date
Time
Temperature
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Notes

You could create additional columns as needed (KH, DH, Phosphates, etc). The Notes column is a catch-all for any non-numeric results, observations, changes in routines.

Great idea!
I have notes written in notebooks, but putting them into an Excel spreadsheet on my laptop makes more sense. Would make it easier to track things and search prior months.

I am .net developer so I've developed my own app for tests temps stocking dates of cleanings etc. I've thought about sharing it a few times. Does reports and graphs for me to see changes and track progress.

Ha! At work I support some applications written in VB6 running on Win2k/XP desktops.

Is the .net app a desktop or web app? Every time I think about creating my own mobile app, I find there already is one more available for free. I like the portability of a mobile app but I would rather see it on a big monitor.

I used to keep a written log years ago. It's fun to look back and see I was doing then. BTI (before the Internet) you had written correspondence. I saved a letter I got from Julian Sprung as we were discussing the merits of reverse flow UG filters and REDOX potentials. Now I see his name all over SW products when I go to an LFS.

Ha! At work I support some applications written in VB6 running on Win2k/XP desktops.

Is the .net app a desktop or web app? Every time I think about creating my own mobile app, I find there already is one more available for free. I like the portability of a mobile app but I would rather see it on a big monitor.

I used to keep a written log years ago. It's fun to look back and see I was doing then. BTI (before the Internet) you had written correspondence. I saved a letter I got from Julian Sprung as we were discussing the merits of reverse flow UG filters and REDOX potentials. Now I see his name all over SW products when I go to an LFS.

It is a desktop app (based on .net 4.0). I've never had the need to do a mobile version as I prefer my desktop for most things. It uses SQLite to store the inputted information.

I can release it if there is enough interest

Back
Top Bottom