where to find cheap aquarium stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would be setting up a new 20-29 GAL FW tank. The stands pet stores sell seem very steep for what they are . Any place to get cheap aquarium stand ? :?:

If you want super cheap and you like to DIY, you could build one that is sturdier than anything you will buy and will cost less. Check out garf.com for some good stand scematics, I used them to build a stand for my 135. They even give you a cut list so you know what length and how many boards you need. HTH

The only problem with Garf.org is that their pictures are lacking. Check out any other member's DIY thread or any other DIY article with pictures and you'll see how easy it is to make, visually. It's basically two rectangle boxes with support beams on the ends and in the middle if needed. If you want it really cheap, then just get a bunch of cinderblocks and put a piece of plywood over the top.

Edit: Link edited. There you happy? If you knew all along, why bother asking?

i was in a used office place to get a office chair and found and old desk/table that was perfect for my 30g, just painte it up and its a beauty

I use a microwave stand, mine has wheels on the bottom which makes it great for moving the tank around. Under the tank are two shelves - the bottom most has doors and this is where I keep all the fish doo-dads, and since the whole set up is in my living room I use the top 'open' shelf for display purposes (picture frames and such). It works great, and was much cheaper than a tank stand.

a good tv stand works well too. sturdy too. and you can store your fish supplies in the cabinet too.

The key is sturdiness. I use a microwave cart for the 5 gal, our dresser holds the 20 gal and an end table holds the 10 gal hex. My fiance made the stand for the 29 gal and when we bought the 50 gal and stand set, he reinforced it in 7 places :roll: You can't be too safe!

Wal-Mart has a nice stand for a 29gal.
I bought one of them for the 29 I used to have and it held up great.
I built the one for my 180 and got the one for my 55 at Wal-Mart too.

oscarbreeder said:
Wal-Mart has a nice stand for a 29gal.
I bought one of them for the 29 I used to have and it held up great.
I built the one for my 180 and got the one for my 55 at Wal-Mart too.
How much was it for at Wal-Mart?

check out local thrift stores (goodwill, salvation army, etc). There is one near my house where you can get all sorts of furniture for extremely cheap. For a few dollars you can get a very servicable end table or some such and with a minimum of effort, it can be cleaned up and (if necessary) strengthen it and you have a nice little fish stand.

swanandmokashi said:
how difficult /easy is it to do a DIY stand ? I have no carpentary skills and obviously my wife has doubts :) :oops:

You want a nice looking one, or just something that is sturdy?

A sturdy stand can be made (a la garf) with 2x4's cut to length & screwed togather - not much skill involved - ability to cut a straight line, measure accurately & follow simple instructions. The garf stand is UGLY (IMO) unless you cover it with something so you don't see it!

Anything more elaborate will require some cabinet making skills. A large tank stand prob. should not be your first large project - you need to do a good job on the joinery for the stand to be sturdy. A loose joint will cause the tank to wobble, possibly cracking it .... resulting in a flood ...

I am in the middle of building a stand for a 70-90 gal setup. I will be posting some pics in the DIY section soon. I had the sub-frame built, but it snowed!!! last night, and now my project is on hold until it warms up :(

There is also a thread of a GARF stand in the DIY section as well.

Back
Top Bottom