where to find local breeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xyyz

Aquarium Advice Activist
from what i gather, local breeders are usually the first choice when acquiring new stock. however, where do you find them? is there a listing somewhere, or a society that complies a list? i'm looking for local breeders in socal (discus, angels, krisbs, rams at the moment) but i haven't the foggiest where to start looking! and for those of you who are thinking it: no, craigstlist really lacks with this information. :)

For discus, I recommend that you contact Kenny @ Kenny's Discus. He's located in CA but I believe he's a good drive from you. He's where I'd get my discus if I were you. I'd personally pick them out which he'd be more than happy to have you do. He's got some of the best stuff around. I am jealous that you are so close. I'd consider ordering from him but there's something about picking out "one" in a group that stands out, know what I mean?

For angels and rams, try www.aquabid.com Angels are extremely common on there but rams will be harder to find decent stock. There are a few good ones but nothing that I'd purchase after keeping the ones I got elsewhere. See what fish clubs are in the area and talk to small fish stores as well. More than likely they will be able to tell you about "this guy" or "that guy" in the area that has something you are looking for. Kribs are fairly common and you could probably find a decent one at your lfs. The same thing goes for angels really unless you are looking for some of the fancier kois and blushers, pearlscale, etc.

Back
Top Bottom