where to find tank decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NEVERLAND

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was told that i need more decorations in my tank. but im fairly poor and i was wondering where everyone else gets their decorations?

my options are . .. .

walmart
aquarium outfitters
pet land
pet supplies

and my favorite.. . .. dun dun dun duuuuuun
the thrift store.

:)

where do you buy your decorations?

Last edited:
Joebrez, do you have any Asian themed? I am in the same boat, but really wont a beautiful asain themed tank. NEVERLAND I would try on here before you give up, everyone has been really helpful.

Joebrez, do you have any Asian themed? I am in the same boat, but really wont a beautiful asain themed tank. NEVERLAND I would try on here before you give up, everyone has been really helpful.

Unfortunately no, I have an Aztec theme (pyramids , large Idols and statues, with silk sword plants)

Here's a some of the bigger pieces!

Attachments

• image-2621595745.jpg
    image-2621595745.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image-2051214298.jpg
    image-2051214298.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2672229935.jpg
    image-2672229935.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 40
  • image-3816114299.jpg
    image-3816114299.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image-1425289286.jpg
    image-1425289286.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image-731503097.jpg
    image-731503097.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1051443370.jpg
    image-1051443370.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 51
Those are really nice, Sadly husband wont let me venture from what we decided :( ( would buy everything and the tank would be all miss matched) but then it would drive me crazy.

I live colorful things. one of my tanks has a pot that looks like a giant strawberry. i added a plant and it looks awweeesooome.

so anything colorful. one of my tanks is favored to blue/purple/green
and the other orange/red/yellow

i do like the 2nd one from the bottom. its very nice. price?

Can you walk through the woods and "find" them? If your tank is natural looking, you can't beat free wood and rocks. Just do some research for no nos and preparing these things if you do.

Can you walk through the woods and "find" them? If your tank is natural looking, you can't beat free wood and rocks. Just do some research for no nos and preparing these things if you do.

That is def true if you have a natural tank.
mine is very bright and colorful.
i dont want a brown/grey rock
i want a green/blue/purple rock.
and not that tye die thing they sell at walmart.

haha I am old school, to be as "young" as I am. I don't like the black backgrounds everyone has now. I like a river or lake feel. Rocks, wood, and fake tall plants on pea gravel. I, personally, like the river feeling backgrounds. My daughter, on the other hand, likes day glo everything. lol:ROFLMAO:

haha I am old school, to be as "young" as I am. I don't like the black backgrounds everyone has now. I like a river or lake feel. Rocks, wood, and fake tall plants on pea gravel. I, personally, like the river feeling backgrounds. My daughter, on the other hand, likes day glo everything. lol:ROFLMAO:
i bet your tank is really beautiful! ! I really wish to have a tank that looks natural. i do have a 55 gal unused on the side maybe one day it will be like that. but the reason i have mine so simple is the cleaning. i find a bare bottom is best for max results from the filter. and i just love color. i want it to be bright and eye catching. but the dayglo is the stuff that glows with the black light? dont really like that.

As far as cleaning, I understand. I have found it helpful to use big pieces that you can set aside, clean under, then move back. Forget all kinds of tiny things. I think the fish really love decor, and moving it around keeps them exploring. Boring for them otherwise....

As far as cleaning, I understand. I have found it helpful to use big pieces that you can set aside, clean under, then move back. Forget all kinds of tiny things. I think the fish really love decor, and moving it around keeps them exploring. Boring for them otherwise....

thats true. i need more decor to keep my 2 male mollys from fighting. hopefully they can pick a territory and stay there. i need to block their vision of each other and stuff.

I got my fake plants, a castle(my daughter begged for one as soon as i mentioned an aquarium) and a useful rock cave at Goodwill. =) I got real plants and lace rock on craigslist and driftwood at a mom and pop petstore because it was way cheaper than the chain stores. And I went right outside of city limits (I live in the desert) and picked up a piece of cholla wood because i was planning on getting a bristlenose pleco...but my ghost shrimp and kuhli loaches both love it.
I love thrift stores. ;)
Good luck in the hunt!

I got my fake plants, a castle(my daughter begged for one as soon as i mentioned an aquarium) and a useful rock cave at Goodwill. =) I got real plants and lace rock on craigslist and driftwood at a mom and pop petstore because it was way cheaper than the chain stores. And I went right outside of city limits (I live in the desert) and picked up a piece of cholla wood because i was planning on getting a bristlenose pleco...but my ghost shrimp and kuhli loaches both love it.
I love thrift stores. ;)
Good luck in the hunt!

WOW A CASTLE?!?! you got super lucky. i mean really. wow.

WOW A CASTLE?!?! you got super lucky. i mean really. wow.

Unfortunately it's not big. =( I had it in my 20 high but switched it to my 12 gallon and it looks much better in there. I was relieved I could appease the child by spending a dollar at the thrift store. They are so expensive!
Though I have seen two others since then! ha. That might just mean I go to thrift stores too often... I'm glad i picked up the castle even though it didn't go with my natural decor because the ghost shrimp walk across the bridges on it and the kuhli's use the "creek" on it as a path. Entertaining. =)

Back
Top Bottom