where to get driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love my wood from Rod Slayers, goes by D.S. Drifter over at plantedtank.net, I used his wood selection in my new tank I setup. Great prices and can find waht ever you need usually. Several pieces in my tank he went out and hand picked and cut them where I asked then mailed them the next day.

Craig

does anyone know a good place to get drift wood that is not expensive?

I browsed all the normal sites and bidding places and realize I'm just too cheap and lazy to go through it. I also want the perfect piece(s) for my tanks. I was visiting my parents this past weekend and realize they have a lot of streams nearby that have quite a few fallen trees. I think once it gets a bit warmer (and less soggy!) I'm going to go a huntn' for some local driftwood for free. Might be an option since you are looking for inexpensive.

We also have a local park that has some untraveled areas that probably have a great deal of fantastic specimens....only I doubt they like someone walking around with a hatchet/axe!

:)

i've got a lake close by that is man made. they didnt bother to remove any trees or houses when they dammed it up so i plan on going over this spring and looking for some. I used to see it all the time, but never thought about getting any because i didnt have an aquarium at the time. just make sure you dont get it from a stream with septic lines running to it or where there is alot of traffic

Good point. Anything I take from the stream will be heavily treated prior to using in the tank. Lots of soakings and boilings to attempt to leech out any contaminants. Of course if something really bad is in the water it won't completely get out of the wood, but the combination of pre-treating and frequent tank water changes hopefully keep the toxins to a minimum in the water column.

Also try to get something that wont rot fast. And you probably don't wanna go for pine due to the sap and stuff in it lol.

Back
Top Bottom